Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Depth Squats

My hips are still my weak link and they arent coming up as fast as I would like. It seems almost impossible for me to feel my hips in even the most hip centric motions- like squats and swings. even windmills dont get my hips to load well. I am too flexible and totally locked at the same time.

My hips go back immediately with any hip flexion and yet they have to push back very far in order to get any tension in them. By that time my back is not a great angle to produce force. so its always a compromise. Powerlifting didnt even build my glutes.

really strict low progection swings seem to hit it the most.really getting onto,and staying on, the glutes as you drive through the ground. focused on hip drive exclusively today in the swings and I can feel it.

two hand swings
36x20
53x20
72x20x5 sets these were kicking my ass. I am bad in this rep range. consistently.
88x10x5 sets these were much better. I was totally warmed up and could be more explosive without fear of injury.plus, I am stronger in this low rep range.power not endurance.

Supersetted with left leg only Bosu stands. used right toe to stabilize instead of arm catches. works better. really driving heel into Bosu and flexing VMO.

Depth squats
We used to do this exercise when we were traiing WSB called handle squats. You stand on boxes and use chain to connect a lat row handle and then squat/deadlift it up from a deep squat position from a dead start. We used 300-400 plus pounds on this for sets of 5 or more. So I got the idea of doing them with a kb to work my hips. Worked like a charm!!! great stretch with no back sounds or adjustments in my back

53x10
72x10
88x7x3 sets wow. that really works the legs hard- front to back as well as my glutes.

pullups
5x5 touching neck on each rep except the freaking LAST rep of the fifth set.

handstand holds
5 sets ten seconds solid as hell.

dats it

2 comments:

Tim Dymmel said...

Rif,

Where were you holding the bar on those squats? In front or behind like a hack squat?

Tim

Mark Reifkind said...

just like a sumo kb deadlift, in front.

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...