Wednesday, November 23, 2005

back to basics- with a heel

kettlebells, that is. two handed swings and some farmers walks. wore the olympic shoe for the swings and was surprised how strong and balanced it felt. I spent so many years sprinting on my toes for gymnastics and punching the floor on my toes for floor ex and vaulting that doing anything on my heels is very wierd for me.

this is of course,why I have such underdeveloped hips and glutes. they dont work well with the foot plantar flexed( toes pointed)/. I truly beleive it is unnatural and unhealthy, orthopedically, to spent so much time loading the frame with the toes pointed.

the heels really make it easier for me to use my hips. odd.But my lumbo-pelvic rythym is such that if I lean forward my hips move back( a compensation by the body to protect the back, not uncommon) so it does makes sense.Just standing there I can feel glute medius tension, WHICH I ALMOST NEVER FEEL,especially flatfooted.

I've spent numerous years trying to "strengthen and balance" this area by going against my instincts and training flatfooted but I am going to use this shoe for awhile. I have a good feeling.

I will also so flatfooted training as well for gait and stability.cleans will be done flat as well farmers walk ,and windmills( although I will have to try the windmill with the shoe as well- I have a feeling....


two handed swings
36x30x3
53x20x5 sets
72x10x4 sets ( a little right forearms tightness). the hips felt great in this.

100 reps x53#=5300#
40 repsx72#=2880.
total=8180 #

farmers walk
2/44's x 6 sets of two laps. really helped to lean into this. paced picked up considerably and much less strain on my knee.mid foot/heel strike instead of just heel. 45 seconds between laps.felt great!

Handstands/deompression hangs 5 sets.
this was suprisingly hard to get up there. I could really feel how tight my left rotators were andit took five sets to get it straightened out. this and my decompression hangs are the key shoulder/thoracic region assesment for me. plus they rehab it as well.

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...