Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Character training

I just saw a car commercial that stated" Challenges don't build character, they reveal it." Pretty deep for a commercial and I couldnt agree more. todays workout was a challenge. Slept well but knee locked up upon awakening for no good reason except that my shoulder was feeling better and the pain had to go somewhere.

Of course it didnt take long for the shoulder to lock up wtoo and I was one torqued dude for six hours. The urge to stretch everything out is huge but clients have to be trained and they are paying for my complete attention. This is where being able to suffer well comes in.

Took a very hot ten minute bath after getting home to unwind some tension and then stretched out a bit especially overhead. Might have pushed the tactical pullups a bit too hard on monday ;)Lats were screaming sore and this hasnt happened in ages! course I havent done 87 pullups in ages either.

High pulls were on the table and 300 was the number I had in mind although I didnt check what last weeks total was. I wanted to keep them snappy so I did sets of 5 switching twice; 20 rep sets. the work was easy, going into each set wondering whether my knee or my shoulder was going to go first was not. definitely teaches you to focus on your form though.

Hi Pulls
36#x5/5/5/5
44x5/5/5/5

53x5/5/5/5 x15 sets = 300 reps
15,900 pounds

went pretty slowly, 35 minutes total including warmups but I was scare to push the pace at all with how off I was feeling. settled in around the 200 rep mark,lol.I am one creaky old man but once I warm up I'm not bad....

Lots of stretching overhead between sets trying to keep the shoulder happy. I also think I did so much demonstrating of the impingment release technique I overworked my teres and triceps and tightened myself up!

Suitcase Farmers walk left / rack walk right arm
100 feet each side: 1000 feet total.

tried doing the farmers walk with the right arm and my back said no. the off set combo felt right and balancing.

overhead snatch holds

36x30 ea arm
44x30 sec each arm x3 sets

by this time everything is actually settling in and feeling more balanced!?! This is one reason I train so much and as hard as I can as it seems that in the gym is the only time when I feel strong and balanced. The rest of the day I am just trying to find it. In the gym I actually do.

Occasionally. And that is what keeps me coming back as much as anything. But damn it takes me forever to warm up.

bosu ball
two feet, eyes open and closed. one foot.

supersetted with overhead holds

this was tough as my left knee is still not in right. need to stretch it out.

BW 160.2
BF 9.0
water 60.6%

wow, this got low fast. I havent been eating much lately and it shows. too light I think.

datsit, gotta get loose.


PS Just looked and I did the same number of reps last week just in 20 rep sets of 10 each arm. Should have done at least one more set today. this is why you check your last workout BEFORE you train.

4 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

300 reps, yikes!

Is it safe to say that you have built a base Rif? :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Tracy!

Mark Reifkind said...

franz, lol, yes I have a decent base although my wife did 800 swings in 35 minutes this after in between basting the turkeys! I did 300 and feel pretty good about myself but I cant do that!

actually I could do a lot more and go a lot faster if I wasnt worried I am going to pull myself apart each set.

Tom Furman said...

From your bodybuilding experience, what effect are the high pulls having on your lats, traps, lumbars, etc? You are doing enough volume vs low reps and resting alot.

Mark Reifkind said...

tom,very little actually. I try not ot use the upper bodymuch as I guide the bell in towards the body not really "pull" it.it's basically a swing for me.
i have been losing weight but my muscle density is increasing.
lats are coming up from the pullups though!

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...