Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Except it didn't work.

H2H was a great idea except it didnt work. Like so many of my ideas lately the concept was sound but the body doesnt want to cooperate.Way too much loading on the already overworked biceps and shoulders. It wasnt bad but I knew right away it wasnt ideal by any means. Tried two hand hi pulls after and it was great.Keeping the bell in close does wonders for the efficiency of my swing stroke.
Much shorter and reminded me of how tracy swings.

Will see if the shorter stroke will be ok on my back. Will know first thing tomorrow.

BUT I hit a PR in my bodyfat at 8% dead on.Lowest I've been since 1987 and the San Jose open bodybuilding show.

bw 161.4
bf 8%
water 61.7% highest I've recorded
lean mass 148.5 lbs

I've been eating much less crap lately, although honestly not intentionally. This is just the benefits of consistency.

H2H;
20 minutes with the 12 kg

around the body pass
around the leg pass
figure eights
underflip transfers
underflip catches same side
overflip transfers
overflip same sides
two hand underflips
two hand overflips
flips and palm catch transfer cleans
bottoms up snatches

even played with some double underflips.

another things I'm good at I can no longer do. Lovely.


Two Hand Hi Pulls
36x20 720 #
44x20 880 #
53x20 1060
62x15 930
72x15 1080
62x15 930
53x20 1060
44x20 880
36x30 1080

175 reps/ 8620 #

Cleans
36x 7/7,6/6,5/5
44x6/6,5/5,4/4
53x5/5x3 sets

Just playing with form and some extra work.Its so interesting to me that when I try to stay more vertical in my swings and make my form "pretty" it hurts so much more than when I do my much longer stroke,"ugly ass bent over" form,lol. I am the Steve Goggins of KB swings.

datsit, staying loose.

7 comments:

Geoff Neupert said...

That's interesting that it didn't work. Did you modify your swing style during the H-2-H so that your arms and shoulders took a beating? When I peform H-2-H, I perform them because they force me to use more hip snap than anything else. Weird, huh? Only if I go too heavy do I feel my arms and shoulders the next day. Somehow, I think that 12kg is not "too heavy" for you, Rif.

Franz Snideman said...

Rif,

I get the same problem with my biceps as well. Like Geoff said the 12kg is probably better for you than the 16kg. The extra 4kg can make a difference especially in the elbows, bicep and shoulders.

Mark Reifkind said...

geoff,

I think its not the weight so much as the catching of the falling bells. it wasnt a big problem except it made me realize that it wouldnt be something I would use on a regular basis, which I was looking for.

I used the 12 kg as I wanted something very light for active recovery. Suprisingly I think the two handed hi pull will work. I felt great today from it; no back or shoulder issues at all!

Geoff Neupert said...

Rif--I understand why the outcome was as it was, but I refuse to believe that my arms are SO much stronger than yours, since they're about the same size (pathetic on my part, I know). I actually am able to catch/absorb the force of h-2-h's with my hips. When I "play" with the 40kg, then it's too heavy and I start to feel the biceps and forearms. Maybe you got it right and I'm the freak. ;-)

Anyway, I just use my hands to "pluck" the bell out of the air or control the direction. My hips and hams do more of the work.

Mark Reifkind said...

geoff I think so much of it is my gymnastic patterning.I am so used to pulling and swinging by the arms. Plus its really my shoulder thats the problem. all the bodywork I do and the lack of any capsule or ligaments in the shoulder makes all the arm flexor trigger points pull directly onthe already overworked shoulder.

left arm is fine.

Tommy Shook said...

Rif,

I haven't seen you to observe your biomechanics, but from the sounds of your previous injury patterns, especially the shoulder, I would bet that absorbing the ballistic shock of some of the drills is putting a lot of strain on the bicep tendon. Perhaps your modified anatomy won't allow for some of the drills just yet, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water, think about some ways to incorporate some of the drills in to more of a resilience circuit...just a thought.

Tracy Reifkind said...

tom I beleive you are correct. The idea behind the h2h was to find a "theme" for the monday workout. I can alwyas play with the h2h but I reallyw ant to find an exercise that I can put into full rotatation.

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...