Saturday, June 30, 2007

Didn't expect that.

You never know when you are going to just feel good, and have a stellar workout. Waking up with a bunch of weird and (relatively) knew tweakies, I wondered how much I could do with the two pood, which was one the schedule today.
Even my warmups felt good which was a total surprise. My left hammie and glute( which had been tight from a bunch of tgu demos I did yesterday) felt fine and my left shoulder, which also had been 'rattling' around around yesterday felt locked in and solid!

One arm swings
16 kgx10/10x2
24 kgx5/5x2

32 kg
5/5
6/6
7/7
8/8
9/9
10/10 x 2 rounds
180 reps
12,960 pounds

This felt great from the start and the two pood moved the best it ever has! Found myself keeping my head up more than usual and sitting back more as well.Tracy talked about using her legs and hips as 'shock absorbers' and I like that analogy.
Also, I really focused on just using the claw/hook grip and NOT letting it get deep into the hand. I think that gripping too tightly has been causing me to bend the arm a bit. It overworks the forearms flexors to and then it is working it's way up the chain. I have strong fingers so it wasnt a problem, just a habit .

Two Hand Swings
32kg x15x5 sets
5400 pounds

18,360 pounds! Not a bad total at all.

I stopped at seven sets as the power was gearing down and the reps were getting slower and less explosive. BUT they felt great and my back felt great too.
Lots more leg work here as well.

Snatch holds
16kgx30 sec
24 kg x45 sec
x60 sec
x60 sec

These felt very solid.

datsit, time to stretch.

8 comments:

Royce said...

Shaweet man. Funny how fast the tonnage adds up when you move to a hheavier bell huh?
Man I need to try to get that "hook" grip down at the bottom.

Mark Reifkind said...

getting it too deep into the palm makes the forearms flex more causing more callouses and tight flexors. just a bad habit I have gotten into.

Royce said...

Me to, I grip it all the way through. really pulls on the calluses like you say. I've started walking around with the 70 "hooked" to try to teach myself a different grip.

Jim Ryan said...

Yeah, I gotta hook more too. Coincidental reminder. I am off training til tomorrow. By then my hands should be better.

I whipped off 200 swings with the 24 on Wednesday (4 x 20L,R, 2x10L,R) in about 15 minutes and ended up with broken blood blisters under 4 callouses!

I didn't even feel it 'til I was in the shower, then; "Oh, S^*%T!"

Just a couple days late for me, but thanks anyway Rif!

Jim Ryan said...

Oh yeah, GREAT job with the 2p!

You are kickin' it!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks aki,
yeah the shower does smart a bit.here's a tip, cut a square of johnsons athletic tape( has to be porous) and put it over the rips( after you clean and dry them) and LEAVE THEM ON, till the tears are healed.
the tape allows them to heal and not crack. the only thing worse than a tear is a tear with a crack down the middle. wear it all day and night and replace when wet or dirty. always works.

Unknown said...

Swing on! It's good to feel great. I too will try to focus on the hook grip, it may save my forarms and elbows...

Jim Ryan said...

Thanks again Rif!
Duh! You mentioned that stuff before (after April Cert.) but I didn't need it then or before I started Wednesday but I do now!

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...