Saturday, July 14, 2007

Back to base.

My pre-cert base level of work capacity is back. I took a big hit with all the traveling and now my level of conditioning is back, just in time to get ready for September. It's cool to have a physical challenge to prepare for, even if it's much different than competing in a power meet.My training is preparing me to perform in real life, real time. A much more important function, I now realize.

One arm swings warmup
16kgx10/10x2
24 kg x5/5/5/5x2

Snatch
16 kg x5/5x2

24kgx5/5x0 sets
90 reps
4,770 pounds



Strong and easy, just how I wanted them to go. Shoulder felt great from the start;even warming up, which is rare. Next week 100 and we'll wave it from there.AS long as I swing snatch it all is good.Monday is MVO2 day so I get lots of snatches in then. about 75 sec /sets.Did a lot of stick presses in between sets to keep the shoulder open and it seemed to work. I think its my clavicles that need adjusting more than my shoulders!As the clavical adjusts the shoulder sits right.

One arm swings/32 kg
5/5/5/5x8 sets
11,520 pounds


These started heavy and ended great. Have to REALLY focus on keeping the arm very straight as I swing and my wrist as straight as possible to keep my biceps from getting too involved.Let it swing.

I can also see, after looking at the video, that I really need to work on my right shoulders extension. I have been working on that lately a bit but now I see I really have to step it up.I am really restricted still there.At least I am on the one arm swing. The left arm snatch the right shoulder swings alright. I love being able to watch and analyze video.This makes it so easy. Wish I had this when I was powerlifting.
We taped ourselves but it was much tougher to really analyze it.
Snatch Holds
24 kg x 60 sec x 3 sets

These always suprise me at how strong they are on Saturdays as opposed to when I do them Wednesdays with the 16 kg!

What a great workout and a great day! The weather is perfect and nothing hurts. can't ask for much more than that.

BW 159.8 wow thats light. havent weighed in awhile
BF 10.1 %
Water 58.8% too early to take bf

Datsit, staying loose.

7 comments:

Guy said...

Mark,

Excellent way of thinking, I've been doing AOS "Firepower for the same reasons. Being able to perform when called upon. Tracy, on her Blog, redirected a question that i had to you, the question concerns the Warrior Diet.

Question:Can a person w/ a very flexible work schedule make use of the warrior diet..I.e 2 days a week I work a graveyard shift, then i'have a day off, then I work 4:00pm-12:00am for 3 days in a row. Should i consider a different diet.

Im only concerned w/ cutting up a little. But the warrior diet seems easy for me to stay on for health reasons as well. Plus i feel very energetic, im comfortable w/ my weight, i just want to rip up a bit. I do the "Firepower 3X weekly w/ two 35lb, two 53lbrs and one 70lb KB,

Thanks

P.S : I wish your gym was in Dallas ;)

Mark Reifkind said...

the basis of the warrior diet is fasting for 12- 15 hours when you are working, eating lightly of fresh fruit veggies and some lean meats and the eating your calories at the 'end of your day' leaving time to digest before sleep. I'm not sure if this would work when you are screwing with circadian rythyms such as working late when you are 'suppsoed' to be sleeping. It could though. I would try to stay on it even on the days you are not working that shirt, as much as possible.
you should get the book and read it, it might answer some of the questions as well.
WD is SO easy for me to follow.When I am busy and working I dont eat( drink lots of herb tea andwater) and then, when I'm done, I eat a good 3-4 course meal,slowly over a few hours, to satisfaction and thats it.
Part of the WD is develping your instinct for what your body needs that day.
allowing yourself to actually get 'hungry' helps that alot. Most people are terrified of being hungry.
I liken the wd to developing your body into a diesel engine, as opposed to carb burners that are gasoline engines; and get much worse mileage.

Aaron Friday said...

If that were my video, there would be a bucket in the corner. After doing one set of 5/5/5/5 with the 2-pood, I would stumble over to the bucket and puke on the floor right next to it.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks aaron. Its not too bad eh?didnt bother the lungs at all and was a bit tougher after the snatches but I take forever to warmup

Geoff Neupert said...

Thanks for posting the videos, Rif. Looks like you intuitively understand the bone rhythm work I've been writing about and experimenting with--shoulda known--it is you after all. Very smooth, very fluid. Your knees and hips, and to a lesser extent, your ankles all move at the same time. A little wrist and ankle mobility work and you'll be all set.

Also, I noticed you are using quadruple extension on your snatch, something Dr. Cobb pointed out to me (we [ex-] weightlifters use it too): thoracic extension to finish the lift.

You look very, very good bro'. Keep it up.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks geoff, I know the ankles are the worst part of the equation right ow and i'm working on it. also working on the wrists trying to hook more and grip less.
what is the quadruple extension you are referring too? ankle, knee hip, thorax in sequence?

Geoff Neupert said...

Yup--ankle-knee-hip-thoracic spine in sequence.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...