Friday, July 20, 2007

Eizo Kenmotsu Olympic Champion

One of my early heroes and role models Eizo Kenmostu.I first saw him at the 1972 Olympics and he and the rest of the Japanese Team became my reference point for what was Elite Gymnastics. This was the style and skill level I was working towards at my peak.



and Sawao Kato on P Bars.I could do virtually all the skills in this routine and had a similar level of difficulty on this event.


and my how it's changed. These modern routines have so much more speed,power and difficulty it's almost a different sport.

6 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

The third video (the high-bar compilation) is insane. I've never seen people fly around like that.

Royce said...

I was doing flips with the 88 maybe a year ago. I missed one rep. One wrong setup. it threw me into the ground HARD. I cannot even fathom the forces generated in these vids. And the presicion needed to get the hands, feet and torso lined up perfectly. That is utterly astonshing.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Mark, pressurizing abs and glutes control apply to these moves ?

It amazes me how they would not get their lumbar spines shattered.

Mark Reifkind said...

man, I thought the shit I had to do was tough! I'm glad I don't have to figure out the physics of those moves! not to mention trying to stick those landings.

Mark Reifkind said...

takei,

for gymnasts everything they do they are pressurizing EVERYTHING the entire time.and yes the landing forces are astronomical.

Fuzz said...

Rif,

Great VID, I love watching the elite of any sport pull off skills the rest of the species couldn't fathom.

I really see parallel lines for every sport. Through genetics, training, nutrition and everyday evolution, Each sport is getting farther and farther from what it used to be. The speed and and strength now being showcased in baseball, football, golf, and even women's tennis eclipses past standards of 20 years ago.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...