Monday, July 02, 2007

Thank you Sir, may I have another?

Wow.Thought I would give Senior Instructor Kenneth Jay's Max Vo2 snatch protocol a go today,as it is my day with the 16 kg and with Joe on vaca the thought of 80 reps per arm one arm swings just didnt seem inviting. Truth be told, I had my mind set on doing this all weekend and thought it might be a good fit for me.
I have been trying to stay away from snatches as they seem to bother my right shoulder but hey, 16 kg? with only 15 second work bouts? Should be no problem. Or so I thought.When I was powerlifting I used to love speed day in squats or benches. Low reps with short rest periods were my strongest methods and I could suffer a lot for short periods if I got some rest in between sufferings.
Squats were 12 sets of 2, benches 10 sets of 3 and db dicks presses were 7 sets of 8 with 15 seconds rest/sets. Man they were tough but they got you in shape AND explosive. 7x8, let me tell you is NOT 50 sets of 15 seconds. This will take some working up to.

One of my favorite opening lines of a books is Hunter S Thompsons " We were around Barstow when the drugs took hold".
I was around set 20 when the pain set in. Bout the same feeling I imagine. Self induced suffering and a long way still to go. AND I took the easiest of Kenneth's( or so I thought) snatch protocols; the others being 36 sec of work and 36 sec of rest at 95+% max hr or 4 minutes of snatching with 3 minutes rest ,also with 95% max hr.That will really take some motivation to try.

Snatches
16 kg x 35 sets of 15 second work , 15 seconds rest. Switch hands each set. 7 reps per 15 sec.
245 reps
8,820 pounds

everything was beautiful til set twenty and then the second hand seemed to bypass numbers 5 sec and 10 sec and go straight to 15. I had hoped for at least 40 sets but since I havent snatched in any volume at all in many moons 35 sets seemed a 'comfotable stop".I can see how this will build maximum oxygen update. I was breathing like a freight train.BUt that 15 second of rest is pure joy and lulls you into a state of optimism. Fat chance. the 16 is so light that you can really concentrate on speed and hip snap and the constant pace gives no quarter for rest. Very nasty Mr Jay, very nasty. But I like it.

Rack Walks
500 feet in 200 foot per arm sections x 3 sets
1500 feet total

man I wanted to go continuous but the snatches kicked my arms ass! legs were dead too ,lol. this will take some building up to. excellent. I dont' know though that I prefer this to my 100 reps per arm one arm swing goal. Perhaps alternate weeks? Joe will have to come earlier as this is not something you can stop once you get going( the snatches)

Scapula band pullaparts
red mini band 4x10 with hold

This is my new favorite scapula move! Like an old time strongmans cables that you pull apart with straight arms behind your back it really works the scap adductors and the triceps

Palms up triceps band pushdowns
2x50 reps.

ouch. good pump baby,lol.I miss my triceps.

datsit, LOTS of stretching to do now.

14 comments:

Royce said...

HOLY crap Rif I so need to get a gymboss this weekend, wait oh crap I don't have a 35. Think a 44 would work good too?

Mark Reifkind said...

for a guy your size the 44 will probably be fine.it just has to be light enough to really be able to stay loose as you do it.
I jsut set up an old clock with a second hand in front of me. no worries. oh yeah, except the workout,lol.

Aaron Friday said...

Sounds like something that could make a person fit. I may attempt to copy this in the future.

Both of you assholes need a Gym Boss. Send a mailing address to aaron_friday@yahoo.com, and you've each got one.

And what is a dick press? Seems like a the ideal exercise to me, LOL!

Mark Reifkind said...

lol, what did I forget that you would denigrate the great tricep exercise named after Paul Dicks, a 600 pound raw bencher at 198 lbs,lol?
But you wouldnt be the first.
Its a great exercise and you can do it barbells or dbs or kbs. Basically you set up like you are going to bench the weight. lower the arms til they are 2-3 " above the chest then stop the elbows from going any lower and shift the weight back towards the chin.
Once you geta good stretch in the triceps( note I said triceps NOT triceps tendon) you shove the weight back to lockout and the finish bench position.
you let the weight drift out of line a bit to overload the triceps and then use the whole torso to move it back to lockout.
GREAT triceps/bench move.
I regularly used the 65s for 7 sets of 8 with 15 sec rest /sets and 115 lbs in each hand for one set of 3.
I could barbell dicks with 225 plus 80 pounds of chain for triples and 315 for a double as well.
my favorite bench assistance move

Aaron Friday said...

What you forgot is that I will quickly reduce anything to the lowest common denominator.

Sorry Rif. It sounded too good to be true.

That exercise you describe seems very intense. It's almost unbelievable that you did it with a 315-lb barbell. Sorry to dis' on Mr. Dicks.

Royce said...

Yeah Rif JM presses and Dicks presses sounds really really cool. Unfortunately French press, dicks press, and JM press cause immeadiate severe pain in my elbows even with very light weight.
Wich is weird cause I've never had any elbow problems ever.

Mark Reifkind said...

just fuckin with you aaron :)) Suprisingly it was one of the exercises that DIDNT hurt my elbor shoulders.it's hard to invision but my upper arm was always parallel to the floor. not much pressure on the elbow that way.
as pavel says:'spread the load" I could show you but I can't describe it well enough.

aaron, I too usually get down to the lower denominator pretty quickly too.

Iron Tamer said...

So, it is :15 on/ :15 off?

Brett Jones said...

Nice to keep finding uses for the "lighter" bells - eh?
Great work Rif

Unknown said...

Light doesn't mean easy. that workout will smoke anyone.

Mark Reifkind said...

david, yes. 15 sec on 15 sec off for 40-50 sets.switch hands each set.

brett and tim , you are both so right!

Royce said...

Rif was there a guidline as to how many times a week someone should use this workout?

Mark Reifkind said...

royce, 2-3 times a week. I'll snatch one time a week and swing like this perhaps another.

Royce said...

Cool Rif thanks.

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...