Friday, July 13, 2007

When it was Girya, The Art of Strength.



Girya Kettlebell Training opened in January 2003 called Girya, The Art of Strength.Very soon it will be five years at the same location and that's hard to believe. When I opened Girya it was done in a two week period after I quit another studio that I had worked 6 months on to get open. What I thought was the one of the worst betrayals of my life turned out to be the start of a huge blessing. You just never know.
People said I was crazy to call it Girya as no one one could pronounce it much less understand what it was. I didnt care. I loved that crazy little ball and knew it was something very, very unique. I knew I could base my clients training around it and get the best results I ever had.I was still doing a lot of 'fucntional ' training back then but kbs were at the heart of it.
I did not know I would soon be baseing all of my own training around it as well. That was a suprise.
Every day I get more calls and emails asking about kettlebell training as the word about its incredible effectiveness and efficiency is getting out.
We became Girya Kettlebell Training in 2005, after I got certified RKC. I knew I was going to be basing 95% of my training template on kb work. I just didnt know how freakily effective it would be for so many across a very broad spectrum of needs.
People WANT something that actually works and that you don't have to spend all day doing. Now people are figuring out what the kettlebell is and what it means to their training and they are digging it.
And nobody does kettlebells better than Pavel and the RKC.
The black and white shot above was the first kb art we did for the girya.net website.I wished I had saved a copy of that homemade( go daddy) site.I miss it.
Just a simple iron ball with a handle. Who'd a thunk it?

14 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That crazy little ball is very unique. But then so are the people who stand behind it and teach it. It's your passion for it that makes it so great. Swing on brother.

Mark Reifkind said...

swing on indeed. thanks tim. you have it too.

fawn said...

Excellent message Mark! I dream of having my own situation... primarily Kettlebells, helping people find fitness, making working out fun and interesting, offering a way to train that breaks plateaus, etc.; like you!

Taikei Matsushita said...

This is a great and inspiring info Mark.

I'm getting things to run business here now. Just getting started.

Royce said...

I love that black and white photo Rif. It's one of the most uniquely hardcore images I've seen. The sinews in ( I'm assuming your hand ) the wrist, the chalk on the bell, and the rough texture of the bell itself. Uncompromisingly harcore, like a pair of Chuck Taylors or a patenad bar crusted in chalk loaded with 45's.
Very inspiring.

Mark Reifkind said...

royce,
thanks so much dude, you absolutely got it. Just the look I was going for.and yes that is my hand.

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn and takei,

keep going in the directions you are now. you will get it no doubt.it is great loving what you do for work and getting to help people get better everyday.

Iron Tamer said...

Congrats on the success. It is deserved. I wish you many many more years of abundnce w/ your business and training.

It is an honor and a privelege to be on the RKC team with you my brother.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks so much david,I feel the same way about you. wehave a great team now with no negative people on board!

Jim Ryan said...

Thanks for the history, Rif. Good perspective and inspiring as always!

Nice image too. It really does capture the essence of things: You. The Bell. Your will. Desire. Brute Strength.

Fuzz said...

Rif,
Great to see how you went with your heart and instincts, especially naming the place.
Glad that it has paid off for you.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Andy, I knew it was right.I ahve learned over the years to listen to my instincts more and more.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...