Monday, October 22, 2007

Short cycle jerks.

Having discovered Saturday that I have regained enough right shoulder ROM to jerk on that side I decided to play with it a little today and do max vo2 swings afterward.Part of me just wanted to see if it had dissapeared overnight but the ability held up very nicely and for some decent reps too.
After 30 years of counting reps it's hard for me to watch the clock as far as how many reps I can do so I counted reps first and then noted how long it took me.

16kg sc jerk 10/10x3
20kg x 20/20( 2.5 min each arm)
x15/15( 1.5 min each arm- warming up going faster)
x12/12 (1 min each arm)
16 kg x30 reps right
rest 45 sec
30 reps left

154 reps
6776 lbs
not a bad starting workload.

THAT was a very interesting down set,lol.When I get tired I have a hard time keeping my elbow on the ribs on the dip and not throwing my chest back as I drive.But I am pretty comfortable in the rack so I can get some decent rest there. easy to throw my hips under and rest,especially with the olympic shoe on.set back on the heel.but high reps ALWAYS suck. Give me a heavy single any day. BUt that's gone and this is here so you pick it you play it.
This is a lot of volume and we'll see how well the shoulder tolerates it. So I have a lot of z to day.

This is so ENTIRELY different than the swing based workouts I have been doing. For one there is a HUGE leg component and I have done NOTHING specific for legs in two years. Just swings and snatches and rack walks. ANd they seem to be fine and holding up for the jerks, which makes me happy. Nice carryover.
And I can see how the long cycle clean and jerk can be thought of as the best overall move there is. Can't cover much more ground than that. You have the swing componentwith the clean as well as the jump of the drive and dip under.Plus the rack is easy to rest in and the bell stays in nice and close to the body the whole time. Less torque . dont think I could handle the cleans as well as the snatches but it's just around the corner.
And I can see just how much stronger my legs they will be if I do all this 'jumping' work in the jerk.Nothing makes me happier than bigger quads. :))
My knee has come such a long way.I could barely do a left leg bodyweight toe raise a few years ago.
This was a good baseline for me.I could have done 25 each arm but thats it without going into andrenaline and I dont want to do that. But I can see 25 each arm with the 24 fairly soon if I want to go down that road.Its a lot easier to tweak things, at least for me, when I am fighting to keep form again long fatigue and thats worrisome.Especially on the backdrop of the high volume necessary to support those reps.
THATs when I usually get hurt, not on a single or double set.Thats why I like the max vo 2 protocol, because even with that short rest I can recover alot and its easier to keep form.

Max vo2 swings
16 kg x15 on 15 off one arm swings
30 sets, 9 reps per cycle
270 reps
9720 lbs

9 reps was perfect tempo, very fast but not too quick, 10 is ROUGH.There is no letup.Wind was fine today even after all those jerks,

Clubbells
one arm swings to torch
two bell swing to torch
one bell swing to order
two bell swing to order
one bell flag press
two bell flag press
one bell front press
two bell front press
side swings inside/ outside
two bell pendulum to flag
two bell swing to torch
one bell torch press
two bell torch press
two bell pendulum to flag press
side swing to side torch
each sets 5-10 reps

these were suprisingly therapeutic after all that overhead work and swing volume. I really like the locked elbws and spiral arm locking on the swings and overhad work. Its so much like swinging and pressing on the Olympic Still rings. Especially pressing while externally rotating. One thing you will always here in a gymnastics gym for ring advice " turn the rings OUT turn them OUT!" Same external spiral you do with the clubs.way cool.

Z drills 10 minutes


dats it, more Z and yoga later.
staying loose.


5 comments:

Pete said...

Nice work with the short cycle jerks! A way that has helped me is slow down the pacing. You are roughly doing 8-9 reps per minute. If you start at 6 reps a minute and work up to 5 mins. on the first set that is a good start. It may seem boring, but (for me at least) you get a rhythm and it causes you to really work each rep on its own. Just my 2 cents.

Pete said...

I should say it doesn't seem boring to me since I am trying to make each rep a focused and "perfect rep".

Mark Reifkind said...

pete,

yeah I'm still not sure I am going to go down this road and really try to up the reps.I know I could but i'm not sure it interests me.
I think I could do 30 plus reps with the 24 just by steady increases in a top set like I did today and down sets increasing total volume.
I agree with the perfect rep thing but thats what I've always done :))whether I'm going fast or slow.

Royce said...

Nice work man! Bet it feels great to get your quads into something again.

I agree too high reps are......mentally taxing to say the least.


If i were stuck on an island somewhere with just a kb and told I could only do one movement i would do heavy one-arm clean and jerks. I think it's my favorite movment of all time.

Mark Reifkind said...

royce, it is good to be able to load the legs again without the knee and the back yelling at me.
I have to say though I do prefer the snatch, its much harder for me.resting in the rack is a lot easier than resting overhead.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...