Monday, December 10, 2007

Snatches swipes and mills.

the clubbell work is really coming along and I am finally getting the hang of both the swipes and the mills. It really has a unique full body rythym and is much more rythymic and less explosive than my kb practice. A perfect compliment I think.I still can't believe my shoulder not only can do these rotational behind the back movements but is actually thriving on them! Crazy. I remember the first time I saw a clubbell 3 years ago in Santa Monica and couldnt even imagine I could ever use them! It would have torn my shoulder off! Its come a very long way.
Dropping the pressing in lieu of more swipes and mills is a good tradeoff.

Snatching felt good too, the 20 kg is really the perfect snatch weight for me. Not so light I can go as fast as I want and not have to think about it but heavy enough to challenge me in the higher rep range which I hate and suck at unless unbelievably motivated.

Snatch
16kgx10/10x2
20kgx
20/20
15/15
15/15
13/13
10/10/5/5
10/10
176 reps
7440 lbs.

This was good. I made sure to get a solid overhead lockout and pause between each rep but otherwise went fast. Alternated with Joe so no extra rest. Wind was decent but havent done more than 10- reps at a time in a long time so I got a solid forearm pump.my base just keeps getting wider on swings and snatches.will workup to 200 rep snatch sessions with both the 24 and the 20 kg.

2 clubbell swipes
10's x 60 reps
15'sx20
x15
95 total reps

these were great. I really found a rythym with the 10's and can see 100 reps here in time no problem.doing the 15's after was a bit tough as my grip was seriously getting fatigued now from this work and the snatches.used almost NO choke on the 15's and none on the 10 's sets.it actually saves the grip if you can use no choke and use the knob as a backstop for the heel of the hand.

One club mills
10lb x4 sets of 20/20

these were also the best I have done with these. No choke on these as well.100 reps per arm is the gold standard I read,( with the 25!) so I will start working towards that with the 10s.

was supposed to rack walk today but just didnt have it. the extra hi rep cb work seems to be edging it out. have to work on that.

BW 160.8
BF10.4%b
water 58.6%

datsit, staying loose.

3 comments:

Tom Furman said...

Having fun with the clubs?? They are oddly addictive and seem very hypertrophy oriented. Swipes are three dimensional Nautilus Pullover IMO. Great conditioner for stickfighting. It's nice to see your input.

Mark Reifkind said...

lol, thats funny. that's exactly how I see the rotary action of arm as I'm going though all these moves.pullovers were always one of my favorites although I usually preferred the db cross bench version.
and I love that I can get some hypertrophy again without messing up my shoulders.they are strangely addicting but mainly seem to really counterbalance the forces of the kbs.
I can also really see the transfer to any kind of throwing or hitting skills.

Taikei Matsushita said...

I must agree about 20kg snatch fills into the spot where it is not too heavy/taxing and it is not too light. And should have kept mine, I gave it away because it wasn't heavy enough.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...