Saturday, May 31, 2008

Quick and Dirty

The snatch workout, that is. The 20 kg was on the menu today and I wanted to get some volume but not with too many high rep sets. I need to get my weight back up first before I start worrying about ssst training so I settled on sets of 10/10. A good choice.

Snatch
16 kg x5/5x2
20 kgx10/10x 11 sets
220 reps
9680 lbs

not bad at all. This was a "half and half" workout in terms of technique, and I'm not referring to the breakfast drink. I ended up doing my left side with a corkscrew descent at a somewhat leisurely pace, and using pure Hardstyle technique on the right arm with a sprint style. Don't ask me why; it was just what happened today and I went with it.
Strange though, when I tried to even it up either corkscrewing or HS on both sides it felt wrong so I just went with it. Worked great.

Shield Cast, two hands
15 lb CB x10/10
25 lb CB x 5/5x5 sets

as I said in the title; quick and dirty.

datsit. time to eat. suspending the warrior diet for a while now til I get my weight back up and keep it at 160-162 for awhile.

5 comments:

Geoff Neupert said...

May I suggest the "See-food" diet...?

Mark Reifkind said...

geoff,
that's actually a great idea. but my appetite's back so I should be normalized pretty quickly.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

I began the WD back in Feb. and dropped wt. pretty quickly. I leaned up to about 9% bodyfat from where I started at 12/13%ish. I definitely feel good, but the first few months I was feeling great.
The past month or so my energy has been quite low so much so the past 2 nights I fell asleep early enough to get about 10 hours of sleep. That never happens, but it was just one of those times where I needed it.

Ok with that said- over the past month I have noticed I am climbing up on the fat percentage scale in a way I don't like. I haven't changed anything in my diet and have been following the WD to the "T". I haven't touched anything processed in the longest time- in fact at all this year. Everything is fresh and organic. I try to eat as raw as I can whenever I can as well. I keep a balance in all my "main meals".

What I'm thinking is that the human body necessitates change on a constant basis. We need change by way of strength & cardio training so why not induce change within our dietary lifestyles. The body seems to plateau pretty quick on any given program and so I'm having this theory that it is the same with eating plans. I believe our bodies may need certain cycles of eating styles and the WD may be a great one of those.
I began the WD from a lifestyle of 5-6 small meals per day and each meal balanced with the appropriate carbs, proteins, and fats, etc. Now I am almost positive I don't want to go back to that, but...

Rif- What do you think based upon all your experiences and client trials over the years?

Mark Reifkind said...

bob,

everything works but nothing works forever- that's a favorite louie simmons quote and I'm sure it applies here as well. so much depends on why you are doing the WD. I do it because I like how it makes me feel, I like not digesting all day long and having more energy and a clearer head. as well as blood sugar levels.
as far as manipulating body mass,etc it probably isnt as good as other protocols but again, its about what you want.
if you are gaining bf you probably need to look closer at calorie content and energy expenditure, thats more important for that than organic or raw ,etc.
there are MANY reasons why your energy can be low besides just the diets influence/.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Thanks Rif.

Actually Ori and I talked today and he really helped me a lot to know what to do. I wasn't too far off and we're just making some minor tweaks. He and I will be working with each other closely for a little bit so he can see what my results will be.
I LOVE the WD and never want or intend to stop. I recommend it to all my clients as well because I know it works. The freedom and eating experience is amazing.

I'll let you know what happens. :)

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...