Sunday, June 22, 2008

Great Bikram class

Wasnt happy that I had to miss thursdays class but todays made up for it.LOTS of progress all the way around on almost every asana although the heat really kicked my ass today. THere were 44 people in the small room and the heat AND the humidity were cranked up. I drank tons of water, almost too much, and got a bit nauseous around the hour mark but came around for a strong finish.
When I ran or cycled I always drank my fill of water and spit out the last sip. That almsot guaranteed I wouldnt get nauseous from drinking too much. A bit hard to spit on the bikram floor but lesson learned. Even when super hot don't drink too much per sip.

Great progress on the
1) squat series much more even left to right
2) eagle pose; Really got my progressions down here.mainly worked on loosening ONE arm up per side. Plus my left leg stand was VERY strong
3) standing head to knee pose: left leg stand was very strong here too AND I got my right leg cupped correctly. one the leftleg extension got the leg totally straight and out. awesome progres!
4) standing bow: GOT LEFT LEG WITH LEFT ARM FOR THE FIRST TIME! YES!right side was into decent extension as well. very pleased here
5)balancing stick pose was much more stable as well
6)straddle head to floor pose was easy as ever and I kept my legs closer
7) warrior poses were much easier too once i realized I had to do what everyone was doing with their overhead arm instead of what was being said to do.
8) front split pose head to knee; really had to bring the stance in to focus on the left leg but it worked great.
9) tree pose. also great after I realized I should just hook the left leg wherever it lands on the right thigh and focus on left leg abduction which is the limiting factor
10)Instructor pissed me off when she said I couldnt use a towel to help double knee to chest post( was slipping mightily) but then told everyone to use it on the rabbit pose. CONSISTENCY please!
1a) also got both legs hooked on floor bow AND camel! things are opening up!

really worked on knee flexion during the seated poses and felt things move well.

all in all an excellent class, heat stroke nothwithstanding!
Another class on tuesday this week before leaving for the cert.Tracy and I got to practice side by side today and thats always great> she is getting SO strong in her positions and has implemented some of the breathing and stretching tips I have given her so her positions are getting even stronger.

datsit.

5 comments:

A Headless Place said...

Nice job Rif!
I have noticed that my lung capacity has greatly impoved and I recover much quicker in the (jerk)rack and right after a set. Have fun at the Cert!

Ericc

Unknown said...

Great job, Gumby! You are a living example that a man (or woman) can do anything he wants to do if he sets his mind on it and puts his heart in it. Awesome work!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks eric.you definitely have a lot of work to do in that heat, just trying to stay calm,lol!

Mark Reifkind said...

hey tim!

good to hear from you. thanks man, I do my best.

Tiger said...

Rabbit is the only pose in which one can use a towel - at least that's consistent studio-to-studio.

Check out the 26 poses guide at the hot yoga social networking site http://www.bikramfinder.com :-)

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...