Monday, July 07, 2008

Heavy swings

Really, really, really did not want to swing the 32 kg today but there was no getting around it. Havent swung it in weeks and the fact that my little venture into Bikram Death Valley yesterday had me still a bit "depleted" today was no excuse at all. I mean, what would my inner mascochist say?
Plus I had the honor of training with Mrs Rif as she started her serious training cycle for upcoming SSST and USSST tests.It's always humbling when her baseline starting point is my PR that I took a year to build up to but hey, what can you do but train harder?
So I did and it wasnt half bad,except for this wimpy skin that likes to blister and tear so much during heavy one arm swing workouts.
I did use the easy fall back routine of just 5/5 reps per set but tried to use compensatory acceleration as well as eccentric overload as much as possible. That thing is damn heavy,especially at my current weight of 156 or so.

One arm swings
16 kg x5/5x2
24 kgx5/5

32 kgx5/5 x20 sets
14,400 lbs

Suprisingly now, after 3 years of kb work since my rotator tear my left hand is the weaker side again( as it should be as I'm a righty). What that says to me is that my right shoulder is FINALLY really sitting in the right place( or a close approximation) in the capsule and that my nerve strength is returing.Yea!
Of course that means I now struggle with left hand fatigue and lack of strength (relatively) but hey what can you do? It's always something. Literally.

H2H transfers
24 kg x 30 reps x 4 sets
120 reps
6360 lb
This is my leg work and I use much more of a classis RKC sit and hinge style as opposed to my pure hinge swing/snatch technique.Have to build these back up. MY best is 85 reps with the 32kg.
thats a ways away.

Snatch Holds
20 kg x60 sec x 2 sets

datsit.

Postscript
I just realized that my skin and callus problem might be from lack of absolute strength in my grip.I think I might be able to tolerate a little gripper training again. Especially since I know how to keep the elbow and wrists open. Will think on it.

14 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

I don't know which side is my strong side anymore. This training has mysterious effects.

Mark Reifkind said...

very true man, its a shifting tide.

Iron Tamer said...

There is a strong side and a stronger side.

Jordan Vezina said...

I'll be interested to see how the grip issue goes. I just figured you would have a grip like a vice.

dr. m.c. said...

mark, forgive the naivety here but just to make sure i'm getting this right, you do

One arm swings
16 kg x5/5x2
24 kgx5/5

32 kgx5/5 x20 sets

i'm not sure how to parse this
16kg, five swings each arm for two sets
then one set of 24 5 each arm
then 32 5 each arm for 20 sets. is that righ?

how long do you find yourself pausing between sets?

with thanks

mc

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Rif,

I've been frustrated with my wimpy hand skin lately as well. I tore 2 callouses on my right hand and got a big blister on my left from Saturday's snatches.

The funny and ironic thing is that back in April I was doing a lot of 15/15 and tore a big patch out of the center of my left hand. I did this 5 days before a Perform Better seminar with Anthony Diluglio of Art of Strength. I was really looking forward to that and had to grit my teeth and perform anyway.

Well now I tore away my hands again and in 11 days fly to L.A. for an IKFF cert with Steve Cotter.

I think my body wants to jynx me. LOL! :)

Mark Reifkind said...

mc

the 16 and 24 kg swings are my warmup sets and I dont count the numbers in my total.only work sets with the 32. I dont rush between sets except on max vo 2 day.probably 1.5 minutes, but I dont count, I go when I'm ready. that said I try to go as fast as possible too. I take FOREVER to warmup and once I am I can go with less rest between sets but not before. I have learned thus about myself many times.
thats another reason the max vo2 stuff is so revolutionary to me because I can do it without warmup now. crazy.

Mark Reifkind said...

Jordan

used to. when i was deadlifting squatting and benching heavy. I could close the # 2 to within millimeters after a heavy workout. but with no real heavy stuff in years, and my weight loss, it seems to have taken it's toll on my once mighty grip- on reality,lol!

Mark Reifkind said...

having spent 8 years training in gymanstics I jsut asusmed shredded hands were the order of the day. Just tape and go.that's where my grips are going to come in. no reason not to train the hips, back, legs , shoulders and core because my hands are hot.Glad I remembered them.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

One of my trainers said she use some grips before that didn't have the hook portion and just the protective hand part. Do you know of these?

I was gonna see where I can get a pair. Recommendations?

Thanks

Mark Reifkind said...

bob,
yeah just google gymnastics grips,there's a million choices.I like the hook part.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

I just wanna know what the heck this crap is!!!

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitFrontRange_PullKBSWBWorkout.wmv

Now I've seen some of Crossfit's kettlebell training before, but this is just HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!

Come on Crossfit please stick to what you do best and that is fast paced circuits with exercises you understand.... ok well that may limit them then. ;)

I'll be honest though and admit that I do, from time to time just for a change up, practice a few CF workouts or CF style workouts. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

bob,

c'mon man, dat be CROSSFIT! It is what it is.

dr. m.c. said...

rif, thanks by the way.
mc

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...