Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Courage Corner

Another early start today, 8 am. I might actually be getting used to training this early again if this stuff keeps up.

Even though I swung a bit yesterday today was scheduled for some volume swinging today. Still want to build the base up so that snatches are that much easier. I used to calculate that if I wanted to be able to do 200 snatches in a workout, whether it was in one set or ten, I should do double that volume of swings on another day, with the same size bell.

Or three quarters of it with a bell one size up.

Swings are much easier on the body than snatches( much less downward forces to reduce), travel a much shorter difference,and the form is almost infinitely controllable given body issues that day( shorter longer, faster slower, etc). So I thought I might catch a break after the two hands yesterday and it seems I did.

I used to be very happy being able to recover from a kb workout three days later so I could train again, so being able to recover in 24 hours is a big deal. It means the plan is working; my body is healing, my asymmetries are reducing and my strength is returning. The balance is being restored.The pain is leaving the body and I can move better, more, more often and more strongly.

How nice.

And about damn time :)) I mean it's only been ten years since my herniation.

Again, no music no partner, just me and a bell.Haven't trained like this in ages. Almost eerie, my little courage corner. No one watching, no one to impress, no one to count, no one to encourage, no one to care. I mean you don't have to do it. You don't have to challenge yourself. You can take it easy, why not?
No one's looking.

But someone is.
Me.

And it's a slippery slope indeed. Weakness.

So

One arm swings
16kg x10/10 x 2 sets
x 5/5/5

24 kg x 10/10 x 10 sets
200 reps

Supersetted with:

Stick shrugs
Overhead stick stretches

This went great. I was very happy I could easily skip the 20 kg bell for warmup and go right to the 24 kg with no problems .Bigger jumps are always a good sign you are getting stronger.Especially early in the morning. That's a great sign.

I started out using the comp 24 kg bell and hated it. The thinner handle actually made it harder on my grip as the handle sat in a very unusual place in my grip and I didn't like it, so back to the DD bell for the rest of my sets. And I put the comp bell away, it's not for me..

Snatch holds
16 kg x30 sec
20 kg x30 sec
24 kg x30 sec x 2 sets

these went very well and I'm surprised how good my right arm overhead position is progressing. Almost comfortable. Well, not really but getting there,lol

15 minutes stretching

datsit


No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...