Thursday, April 14, 2011

Snatch VO2 37 sets of 7


Continuing with this weeks theme of STEP BACK, I did not use my 8 am cancellation to train myself more with a double split but instead worked on my stretching HARD focusing on deeping my squat stretch position.

Having spent the last five days obsessing over Kelly Starret's mobility project on youtube I started playing with the foot position in my squat stretches and had great responses. More stable, deeper squat position and, most importantly, Less knee pain. In fact, almost none, except for the fact that my knee was bending more than it had done in quite some time:))

Most important was my now having a new motor pattern in my squat that actually seemed to work. At least it did all day today and that is great.The load was on my hips and glutes, not my knee, and the ankle stayed stable all day. Which is not normally the case.

Plenty of time spent on hip mobilization stretches as well as the usual overhead work. This was just what I needed.

2 pm

Snatch Vo2
16 kg
15:15 7 rep sets
37 sets
259 reps
9324 lbs

It was a long day today and did not feel very energetic going in but my groove was solid and the pace was fast. No problems with wind at all and the 37 sets just flex by. Would have done 40 easy but knew I was supposed to take it easy and was running out of fuel anyway.

Clubbell mills
10 lb club x 10/10 x 5 sets

easy 100 reps and haven't done this move in eons either. perfect for wednesdays when I start with snatches as I only have a 10 and 15 lb cb at Stones. When I can do 100 each arm with the 15 I will get a a 20 or another set of 15 for swipes as well :))


Cold water shower

wow. this is weird. It sucks when it's happening but i consistently get a very strange 'warm glow' that lasts at least 30 minutes after each dowsing session.perfect after snatch vo2 and on warm days. can't wait til it's hot everyday and I can do this more regularly.

datsit

7 comments:

Jordan Vezina said...

Kelly's also got a bunch of good stuff on the Crossfit Journal site. Well worth the 25 bucks, in my opinion.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Jordan. I'll check that out after I digest all his youtube vids and the ones on his blog.

Unknown said...

I don't know Rif but I think I'm switching blogs to Frankie's. He's a little more informative : )

Unknown said...

OOOPs forgot the link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OeswkL-Mw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

guy said...

Bossman, I have been practicing cold water dousing for the last year, daily. I slowly pour two cold buckets over my head after my shower, usually a minute after. I learned about it from a Systema instrutor. Dousing has alot of benefits.

Mark Reifkind said...

Noel,

how could I compete with that guy ? He has it all :))

Mark Reifkind said...

Guy

I will switch to the buckets after it really heats up this summer. not ready for that level of commitment yet.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...