Saturday, May 28, 2011

Snatches and Rings.


Back on track. Last Saturday was heavy onearm swings and today is heavy( for me) snatches.Each workout will build the other I had a 'plan' to do multiple sets of 10's with the 24kg but Nick had to get going extra early today which meant stretching first was on hold until after the workout.

Things felt heavy right away so I came up with another plan ;)) Start with fives and ramp up to tens. Maybe.

But it was good. I warmed up faster than expected and the groove was solid. Good bell speed and power and the shoulder and back were behaving themselves. No carryover from the swipes on Thursdays; a VERY good sign. Training them at 6 am should make it even better and , surprise! Nick has signed up to train with me as well! Very cool. Of course that's very early for him and we'll see if he shows up! I'm prepared to train alone and that's the key.

Snatches
12kg x5/5/5/5 x2
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x4/4
x3/3

24 kg x5/5
x 5/5 /1/1
x5/5/2/2
x5/5/3/3
x5/5/4/4
x5/5/5/5
x5/5/5/5
110 reps

20 kg snatches
10/10
10/10

40 reps

150 total snatch reps

I go you go fashion with Nick, who was only doing 5/5 as he has to squat heavy tomorrow, so the pace was fast. I had only planned on doing one top set of 5/5/5/5 but the batteries crapped out taping the last set so I had to do it over:))

Of course.

Ring Plank progressions

wanted to get to these before the last exercise ( 2 hand swings) so I would have some strength !

5 sets of 10-20 sec holds( guesstimate no timer) with descending height of the box. These actually got easier as the box got lower so I was doing something wrong but it was still SERIOUS work to keep the elbows really locked and the rings turned out!

Nick got up there and supporting was no problem with bent elbows and internal rotation but locking out and turning out: different story!

This was always both a strength and a weakness for me as a gymnast as I have naturally hyperextending joints( read loose ligaments and capsules) and they have to be REALLY locked to look straight. That can make the joint strong but it's also tough on it as everything is done at end ROM and if you don't have the requisite muscle tension way too much load goes into the joint.




But these are going to work some serious static strength for me which I have not been doing much of these days. Go slowly though

Vertical support( prep for L sit)
2 sets of 5 seconds. WOW, tough, again holding myself up is one thing. Locking out and turning out another. I can see where I will have to practice this in small bites at least twice and perhaps three times a week.

Maybe even a grease the groove protocol. We'll see.


Two Hand Swings/Ballistic

24 kg x5 sets of 10 reps
28 kg x 5 sets of 5 reps

Solid strength power and wind. Nice. Again, last week was power swings and this week ballistic. A good alternation of the same move( "same but different", thank you Pavel) brings a solid balance to the routine and each move helps the other. Maybe I will get this routine together after all :))

20 minute stretchout: emphasis: hamstrings, ankles, shoulders, abs

datsit!


1 comment:

ambersbridal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...