Saturday, July 09, 2011

32 kg Short cycle press, ballistic snatch and some technique lessons.

When I looked back over the last month of press workouts I realized that today should be a 32 kg day. I last pressed it, long cycle,June 7 so it had worked it's way up through the cycle but it always makes me really pay attention to what's going on when I have to press it;it's still a very big weight for me and I don't have a lot f margin for error for my shoulder or my back.

And my back was wonky again for the first time in eons after the endurance snatching and that had me worried, and prone to be cautious. No time to tweak anything with all my travel coming up and especially the back. 12 hour plane rides to Hungary will not be fun with a weird sacrum or lumbar spine.

When it's heavy, no matter what heavy means for you it means PAY ATTENTION to me. To every bit of the workout and how I move. From the stretchout to the warmup to the weight/rep selection to the power output.Cannot afford to be unconscious with heavy weights.

But the back felt good and the warmup felt solid and I SLEPT GREAT!!! This Zeo sleep monitoring thing is way cool and I have been sleeping an hour plus more than ever this last week ( with a few days exceptions) and feel more refreshed than I have in ages. It's such a cool too; I can't recommend it enough.

7-8 am full stretchout and mobs focusing on overhead moves and making sure I got my tva, diaphragm and lats opened up as they seemed extra tight the last few days. Definitely doesn't help the back at all. I actually think the handstands were as much to blame as the anatomical breathing but who knows?

All I know is to go back to what I've been doing which has been working. You don't have to tell me twice anymore :))

Short cycle clean and press
warmup
16 kg one arm swings x 5/5/5/5 x 3 sets

press
16 kg x5/5 x2
20kg x3/3
24 kg x 3/3
28 kg x 3/3

32 kg x 3/3
x 3/2 ( miss on left shoulder)
x3/3
x 3/3 ( long cycle)
x2/2 ( long cycle)
15 reps per arm/ 30 total

here's the video of the miss:

I haven't done much short cycle pressing lately and it's very different now. I used to only do short cycle presses as I couldnt do long cycle without something tweaking but I really love the long cycle movement and it's great to be able to do it. It's just a bigger, more full body movement and I like that.

But I got sloppy on the re set and pushed too much from the elbow instead of the contact point with the bell and didn't get my lat set enough. Plus, I'm unsure of where the exact starting point is now without the clean, lol!

This also really showed me how vital it is to REALLY RE TIGHTEN between each rep. Long cycle just makes it happen more automatically.When doing strict presses it's much harder.It also shows me how important videoing your training really is.

I noticed that I didn't externally rotate my upper arm enough as I tightened the lat. I just squeezed the lat but didn't create enough torque. Won't forget that again.

My shoulders 'move' around a lot if I do things wrong and I got some serious grinding/adjusting as I started that third rep so I shut it down. It moved a bit on the second but I thought I could make the correction. I couldn't.

It's a delicate balance for me between movements that work and one's that hurt.It certainly makes me pay attention better and it is, after all, an immediate self correction :))

No worries I focused in and got it done with the next set, here:

I did some more sets and reps but think I will stay with long cycle for the single bell and short cycle for double work. As much as I like re cleaning the weight with one bell I hate it with two :))

A perfect symmetry and the decision is made.Go with what is working now for my body. Don't be greedy and have to 'do it all'.

The really good news is that even though my teshnik was spotty the weight felt very light in my hands and on my back.

Snatch( ballistic)
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x5/5
x6/6
x 7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10

90 snatches with 24, 10 with 20 kg

I had to ramp up with the 24 as Nick proceeded to go crazy and snatched the 24, 28,32 36 and 40 kg for 5's and he's has only snatched the 32 kg once many moons ago! I had to stop him from snatching the 44! It's all easy when you're strong. This is one serious Hardstyle snatch! congrats man!

Nicks 36 kg snatch

40kg snatch

AWESOME MY BROTHER! You killed it. I'm seriously jealous but if not me, then you!

Pullups
5 sets of 4

no worries.

datsit. Sisu

2 comments:

Juci SFG said...

Congrats, gentlemen :)

Is it a new design here or my browser plays games with me?
If the former, then LIKE :)

Mark Reifkind said...

thank you Judit and no, your browser is not playing games with you:)) glad you like the new design. Spur of the moment thingy.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...