Saturday, September 17, 2011

24 kg clean and press pr


I've been spending more and more time pressing the 28kg as I've wanted that to be my "floor" as far as week in and week out pressing weight. But if one goes too heavy too often it's easy to lose the groove as you "fight" to make the heavier weight feel light enough to really focus and concentrate( practice anyone?) on every aspect of the lift.

I can do that with the 24 kg and it was the perfect day to do so after the last few weeks of heavy pressing. I still wanted to get the work in so I decided on a 5/5-10/10 rep ladder. I've done it before, well almost, as I skipped 9/9 and just went to 10/10 as I didn't think I could do both sets.

I was thinking about doing the same thing today but Nick kept me honest and the tape above is the last set of 10/10= 90 total presses with the 24 kg! A real life PR. I'll take it.

7 am stretchout
LOTS of focus on leg mobs and stretches as the shoulder is finally( and the first rib) back in place and feeling normal. Felt very loose this morning and splits actually felt like they are making progress! No issues from all the swipes and CB swings from Thursday.

Long cycle clean and press
16kg x 5/5
20 kg x 3/3

24 kg x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10

90 total presses

Made a specific change in technique on the left arm which really helped stabilize the shoulder. instead of just activating the lat on the setup and then forgetting about it, I conciously flexed it, then flexed it again as the bell went overhead,helping keep the shoulder in the socket as the bell finished. Again, it's so easy to forget the little pieces that make the whole work correctly.

One arm swings
24 kg x8/8
28 kg x8/8
32 kg x8/8 x 3

48 measely reps but it's a start. After working with so many people lately teaching them to swing, I have much more respect for just how hard heavy one arms are, and how strong I am ( was) at them! I have to practice more and get my numbers up. I think this change in schedule will work. Also going to do clubbells on thursdays now and leave two hand alone for awhile. It's a better balance.

Tact Pullups
3x5

solid, first time for fives in awhile. all throat above bar.

Band tri extensions
20, 20 , 15, 10

lol, triceps death. love it

datsit. Sisu.

2 comments:

Mike C said...

Thanks for posting that Sir. Congrats on a big PR! I've been working on ROP with C&P ladders and seeing a solid ladder in action was great. A couple questions:

1. I see the lat engagement "squeeze the sponge". Do you/ when do you engage the glutes in the setup for the press?

2. What about the abs?

3. Do you ever work the pullups in ala Enter The Kettlebell?

Thanks! Mike C

2.

Mark Reifkind said...

Mike,

thanks for stopping in and commenting. I try to get the glutes involved as soon as the clean is finished.

abs, I try to stay 'braced' at the finish of the clean. it's a part of the finish of the clean.

if your read down on the blog you will see tactical pullup for 3 sets of 5. i do these at least once per week

train hard!

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...