Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Snatch Vo2 50 sets

It's been a long time since I've been in this territory. And true to form training max vo2 with snatches increases my cardio ability faster than anything else I've done with a kettlebell,possibly anything in general.

It seems I can take big jumps in total volume of sets AND reps for quite awhile with this protocol. It also helps, a lot, that my snatch form has been very very consistent and my body has behaved as well, not getting too wonky or imbalanced.

It's tough to go fast it you're even a little bit concerned about tearing a hamstring off the bone :)) But that's no longer the case it seems so my speed and efficiency is definitely up and that feels great too.

With my 7 rep sets I was finishing in 12 seconds and held the weight for the last 3 seconds. Even when I went to 8's I still had just over 1 second left in the interval. That's not bad for me at all. I've been ramping up from 30 sets a few months ago to today's 50 sets. This was the original goal of the original Snatch Vo2 protocol when it came out in 2007.

Then it got ramped up to 80 sets but I am fine with 50. At least until I can do all of them with8 rep sets. Soon.

Just as I did when I progressed from 30 sets of 7 to 80 sets of 8 last time I am working forwards and backwards at the same time, Forwards in that I am upping the total number of sets I do each workout for at least 3-4 weeks before backing off and rebuilding.

But backwards at the same time as I increase the number of 8 rep sets progressively downward, starting the the last 5 sets then getting to todays 20 sets. Next time I will still only do 50 total sets but will do 25 sets of 8 instead.

Once I work it down to 10 sets only of 7's I will jump to all 8 rep sets. Once I own that I will progressive it forward again up to 60 sets of 8 and that will be plenty.

Training with Tracy makes this possible as it's just too miserable to do by oneself unless you have a gun to your head. Tracy did her workout today alternating the 14 kg and the 16kg and I have to not get too upset as I remember she did 50+ sets of 8 with the 16kg not too long ago.

Kettlebell swing and snatch Maestro!

6 am

Full stretchout

8:30
snatch vo2
16 kg
15:15
30 sets of 7 ( 210)
20 sets of 8 (160)
370 total reps
13,320 lbs work ( now that's a great number!)

heart rate was up towards low 190's at the end and didn't come down for more than a few minutes. this kicked my butt!

Capt America Sliding arm casts
20 lbs x 10
25 lbs x 10
35 lbs x 8 x 3 sets

nice to get back to the big CB again.

Bodyblade laterals

3 sets of 10,8,6

wow these were tough today

Band Triceps extensions

3 x 20 with black band

Nice! I really need to get the triceps cooking again but everything I do ( pushups, dips, ring extensions) really jack up the shoulders. This seemed to work very well and really got the long head which is the key tricep muscle.

Datsit. Sisu

2 comments:

Maribel said...

A year ago I would have read this and thought "what is this foreign language this man is speaking?".

I agree, Tracy's the Maestro.

So, let me get this straight. You build up your sets based on a certain pace, let's say 7/15 sec set. Then you back off the amount of sets but increase your pace to 8/15 sec set? That's genius.

Mark Reifkind said...

maribel,

yes, that's the basic idea. I try to get to the total set goal first at the lower pace( 7/15 sec). Then start adding in a faster pace( 8/15 sec) for groups of 5 and increase them as I can.

I actually started increasing them( sets of8) when I hit 40 total sets.

Now I'm on my way back to ten sets of 7.you have to vary the loads.

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...