Saturday, December 03, 2011

Presses and snatch holds


Woke up with the shoulder feeling really good from Thursday's snatch holds. But as soon as I started pressing ,even with the 16kg the left bicep tendon started moving around and the shoulder was not happy.

This was definitely a sign.A sign that I've peaked out on my pressing and need to re direct towards a higher volume of snatching relative to presses. that makes sense as that as what rehabbed my right shoulder into even being able to press again a few years ago. I got through the press work out but it's reached it's zenith. New protocol coming

7-8 am

full stretchout focusing on legs and hips.


8-9 am
one arm swing warmup
16 kg x 5/5/5 x 4 sets

long cyle clean and press
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x5/5
24 kg x5/5 x 5 sets

these went very easy but I had to hunt around for a left arm position that stabilized the shoulder. Strange as I ended up where I started at weeks ago. It's a moveable feast :))

one arm swings
24 kg x5/5
28 kg x 5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10

these went strong and well although my left shoulder was still not happy and I had to conciously pack the shoulder to keep it stable.

Snatch Holds
20 kg x 30 sec
x 45 sec
x 60 sec

these were not easy although it felt perfect to do them My shoulder got more stable with every set. the overhead position gotten to via the snatch is somehow much different than that achieve with the press.I'm not sure why but I am definitely sure that it is. The snatch position is much better to stabilize the shoulder for me.

The left arm felt like it's old self and though the right side is better than ever you can see from the video how much tighter is still is.Will work up to the 24kg for time on these as well. I will cycle the weights and the corresponding times each week as well.

PBar handstands from floor

4 sets of 8 seconds

these were hard. almost the same muscles as the snatch holds, which were now very tired. :)) Pretty solid though and all from the floor. Nick spotted to a free hold.

datsit. Sisu

2 comments:

Mike C said...

Hi Rif- Bummer the shoulder was not 100% for you today.

In terms of Snatch Holds....do you prefer them to Waiter Walks? Waiter Walks tend to help take my mind off the pain that creeps towards the end of the set :] Since I'm not just standing in one place with nothing to think about except how tired my shoulder is.

It also seems the gentle movement of walking provides some movement dynamics to the hold and maybe some more blood flow because of the pumping like movement.

I'm pretty new to both of these moves, but like them a lot.

Mark Reifkind said...

mike

yea I know, I think I've just stayed with the same movement too long, time to rotate it out. I think I'm going back to snatching the 24 kg on saturdays FOLLOWED by presses, either bottoms up OR mil presses but not as the lead movement for awhile.

I don't like waiters walks primarily because my right shoulder is so tight that I get bad postures as I walk so I like to stay in one place and really concentrate on increasing the ROM in the four directions ( lock the elbow, elbow to biceps, reaching back and packing the shoulder)

walking is a distraction from my main purpose of the exercise which is rotator cuff static strength.

I don't see why you shouldn't do both. I am going to do these at least twice per week.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...