Thursday, July 05, 2012

KB Press



Seems that my left side press is back! I tested long cycle last week with my new technique and got through the workout with no 'clunks' so I wanted to see if I could do short cycle presses as well. Those have proved more difficult to avoid the shoulder instability but today went well.

What I did differently was to NOT use tension on the negative rep as that lat activation seemed to pull the shoulder down too much and cause a 'clunk'. I didn't let it fall but just guided it down. I did doubles to see and that was solid

One arm swing warmup
16 kg x 5/5/ x3


KB Press
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 4/4


24 kg x 2/2 x 9 sets

Shoulder was out a bit all morning but not from kb work.surprisingly it didn't act up on any set.It all stems from my elbow, actually, and all the tightness in my wrist flexors. thought I got all of it out yesterday but obviously not. no biggie.Just nice to be handling the 24 so easily again. The 28 is in the cards; almost used it today. I think I just have to keep the reps low for now.

Definitely felt like I found the right groove for my press today; really have to focus on keep the arm externally rotated throughout the entire rep. The hip shift and looking at the bell as I press really facilitates that

KB row
24 kg  x8/8 x 5 sets

these made the shoulder feel more stable each and every set. Used a supinating action on the row, finishing palm forward( or close)


Reverse Grip pushdowns
4 x 20

the reverse grip felt right.no clunking here, either

It was good to get the extra day of rest. Going from 50 sets of max to presses the next day was too much this week. the higher the reps go on Tues the more rest I will need. Just don't want to take anything away from saturday's snatches

datsit
Sisu.

No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...