Thursday, July 19, 2012

LONG CYCLE CLEAN AND PRESS 5/5



This has been a long time coming. I've been dealing with this left arm instability, in one form on another for almost two years! First it was my tricep cramping on cleans back at Girya , then my left shoulder started clunking around and then I had to stop pressing with my left for awhile as it was just too unstable.

Enter rehab again and lots of myofascial release on the elbow flexors, particularly the brachio radialis and pronator teres and biceps insertion.Also tons of overhead stick work and stretches in extension. It kept getting better but it was still so unstable.
Plus, searching for some form that didn't irritate it. What once was my weak side, my right, became my go to side and it feels like I could press the 40 kg with it anyday. Don't want to jack that up though :))

The hip shift technique I got from Mike Davis DPT has helped take pressure off the shoulder joint itself and spread the load into the rest of my body as it should be in the press. It's NOT an isolation exercise but a full body lift and this technique really helps to do that.

This technique allowed me to build back up to todays' workout 24 kg x 5/5. This is my baseline strength level that I never want to not have. Minimum. Long or short cycle.The form is still not perfect but it is getting there and the weight felt very light.

have to do more cleans and holds to really solidify the start position

One arm swing warmup 16 kg x 5/5/5 x3


Long cycle clean and press
16 kg x  5/5
          x 3/3
20 kg x 3/3
24 kg x 3/3
         x4/4


And Glenn just KILLED it today, doing 5 sets of 3/3 with the 32 only to finish with a set of 3/3 with the 36 kg. Both were PRs. It's truly amazing how much progress this guy has had in just one year( almost to the day)!
The way he lifts, walks, moves, looks and acts is one million percent better than they guy I started with  365 days ago.
Plus is as hardcore as they come and Real Deal to the max and I KNOW I can AWAYS count on him to make the training. Come hell or high water.Or worse. Plus he's an uber experienced athlete, competitor and operator and has an eye. You can't buy the eye.You have to have it and then earn it even still.
Nice for me and I know I would not be in the shape I am right now if it weren't for being able to train with him for the last year.
Thank you Sir.


Belt squats
32 kg x 20
40 kg x 20
44 kg x 20
32 kg x 20

Yes! These felt GREAT and it is such a freakin miracle to be able to train legs again! The pump and fatigue in my quads only serves to take load off my overworked hamstrings and balance out the leg musculature. FINALLY!

KB Floor extensions
16 kg x 10,12, 14, 14

these felt great.

and for some reason I ended up doing this workout yesterday:


The last time I did anything like this was about 5 minutes on the eliptical bike 5 months ago and it almost immediately put my back into wonky town.
So I had no idea what this would do to me but I kind of got cornered into it and felt like I had to step up. Great idea, too after 12 hours of training in weird new positions this weekend :))

I've always said I was tougher than I was smart  and this proves it too:))

But just as I came out of the Primal Move weekend relatively unscathed, it looks like I survived the Vasper too :))

My shoulders are a bit achy but my spine is ok and that's what counts.

Here's more info on this very interesting protocol

http://vasper.com/

datsit
Sisu/


No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...