Thursday, August 09, 2012

Practice



I will admit that I do not usually think of my training as "practice" but "training". I practiced gymnastics every day for 8 years and never thought of it as working out but ever since then my training has been, well, training. Running, bodybuilding, powerlifting and kbs have always been about working towards a goal, usually a numbers goal but also technique goals.

Not that I don't practice my skills and techniques and polish weak points. That's a given and I work on that all the time. Sometime in the gym and sometimes just in my head, mentally.

But since my left shoulder has been so unstable in the press I've realized trying to 'train' it is not the best way to progress. I have to stop worrying about my press workout and start 'practicing' my press.

So that's what I did today. Just single and just focused on finding the right technique, the right groove, the right path. It worked great! I put up the 28 kg for 4 easy singles and the 24 for 3 and NO clunking or instability in the shoulder. AND I found pretty much exactly where to place the bell for maximum shoulder stability

Cleans
16 kg x 5/5 x 3

Press
16 kg x 5/5
         x3/3
20 kg x 2/2
24 kg x 1/1 x 3
28 kg x  1/1 x 4 sets!

this was great and the above video was the first set. they got better. My right arm it feels like a feather but I don't want it to get ahead of my left by too much in actual loading.

Bottoms up cleans
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 3/3
24 kg x 3/3 x 3

nice! haven't been able do these in years. left shoulder was just too unstable. I thought about going up to the 28 kg ( my best is the 40kg for 3s) but decided not to be greedy.



Belt squats
32 kg x 20 x 4 sets

I freakin' LOVE these!!! great quad work and no knee issues. I wish I could get deeper but in time.At least I'm squatting again.

Bodyblade laterals

3 x 10/10 

brought this home from the gym I love this for the suprapinitus.

KB floor extensions
16 kg x 12, 11, 10

triceps were surprisingly sore from the heavy club work on Tuesday.

nice training about 45 minutes . Did 1/2 hour of stretch and PM kata early today. Need more time though, on both.

datsit.
Sisu/

1 comment:

Boris T said...

I've always personally made the distinction between practice and workout. One has purpose the other doesn't.

Also very nice pressing. I really like your indian club collection in the background.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...