Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hybrid Snatch



Another great workout and a technique revelation. I decided to go with the 22 kg today despite my ego saying I should just jump to the 24kg so I don't get "weak" in the snatch. Well since Tuesdays are now Hi pull days and I get up to the 32 kg easily and Thursdays I will handle the 44 kg or Beast I shouldn't worry about not getting enough heavy stuff in.

My snatch technique needs the work, not my strength and last weeks 20 kg workout lead to some great revelations as well so I decided to stay with the plan.

Smart decision.

Using more of a hi pull style for the snatch, where the focus IS elevation rather than projection of force has really made it easier for me to find better timing and the exact time to exert max force. If  I go too early I am out of phase  or pull too much with my arm

Since my left knee is always bent at least 10 degree the kinematics are much different than with my right side and I have to take that into account.

I've been trying to find the "end range' position of my left arm snatch and it hasn't been working as well as I wanted. But today it did.

I decided to let the weight shift to my quads out of the bottom instead of just trying to drive with the hips and it made a HUGE difference in my timing, the stress on my grip and my shoulder. Felt great on the right side as well.

The above video is from my last set and I didn't decide to play with this technique until the last four sets but the difference was immediate. You can't tell that much from the video as it's very subtle but the reversal out of the back swing is more of a GS technique than a HS. My shins don't translate forward ( as they can't) but that is the intention  and I could feel my quads kicking in as I shifted.

This gives me a half beat longer in the backswing AND a way OUT of the backswing that isn't forced. This is what I've been looking for. Then, it's more HS as I try to accelerate the rest of the way on the ascent. It's easier too as I'm in a better position to jump "up". not forward.

In the RKC we say the swing is 'projection' of force. If we want to 'elevate' we say 'snatch it'. So I am. It's just a slight deviation from the classic HS swing but it makes a big difference.

Here's the third set where I hadn't decided to do this yet but my body was leaning in that direction by itself:


On this technique I am just trying to get a pure hip drive and the timing is just not optimal. It's the same, really, as when I was powerlifting and was trying to do a pure WSB wide stance squat; all hips and back.

The only problem: I am not a big hip guy. So there's not much power there. I would have been way better served by using more quads as well as hips. Same thing here. I need to let go of dogma and go with what is best for my body. I've known this for years but keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and I know better.

I have a feeling this is going to make a huge difference in my snatch training.

Snatch
16 kg hi pull 5/5 x 3
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 5/5
22 kg x 8/8 x 8 sets
128 reps
6400 lbs

Very solid, calm and strong, More reps than last week with more weight. Nice.

One CB Shield cast
10 lbs x 10/10
          x 15/15
15 x 10/10
     x 12/12
     x 15/15

this was great and very good for the left arm/shoulder. Wasn't able to do this 2 weeks ago. Should is REALLY being stable!

Negative Pushups
4 sets of 10 

the concentric part , from my knees is getting way more solid.Getting to be a pushup from the knees rather than just a "get back to start position" movement. Real pushups and shoulder stability right around the corner!

Body blade/ band laterals supersets
2 sets of 10/10 each

 Great workout!Feeling strong and fit and recovering better all the time. Less myofascial release needed each day. Nice

datsit.
Sisu/

No comments:

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...