Saturday, September 08, 2012

Snatch form work


It's great that my left shoulder has been staying stable in the socket this last week and all the accompanying muscle tension in the elbow flexors, levator and traps has disappeared with it. Doing snatch holds regularly both sets the rib in the right place as well as activate the rotator cuff to do it's job.

All around good, but the left arm technique for the snatch is not optimal and today I wanted to spend some time trying to figure it out.that's why I went back to five's. What I discovered is that the technique that works on the left side is not what works on the right.

On the right if I lean forward a bit the hips go back on their own and I can "shock" absorb through my hips very easily. There is a natural end point of the back swing and all feels smooth. On my left I have to actually lean even more and not try to flex my knees at all to get a natural end point of my back swing,

If I try to emulate the right side on the left  I lose hip power and the  groove feels bad. The correct position is the one in the picture above. I just hope my back says it's ok because it feels much better and more fluid.No shorting the back swing trying "create" the right groove.It's right there. But it ain't the same snatch as the right. Hey no one's ever accused me of being symmetrical now, have they?

6:30 am
45 minutes Rifga and Primal Flow warmup

( this is set 6 of 12 BEFORE I figured it out, watch the left side )


snatch
16kg x 5/5x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 5/5 x 12 sets
120 reps
6360 lbs

here's what I came up with playing around with technique after with the 16 and 20 kg:



Glenn came up with some revelation of his own after I saw Pavel's technique in this clip from the original RKC challenge DVD


Pavel spoke about just hinging from the hips FIRST to initiate the downswing on the snatch!Not a beginners technique but this one change totally  fixed three or four of Glenn's technique and timing issues. An "Aha" moment for sure. For both of us

I get to play with this again on Tuesday when we bring back Snatch Vo2 training again!

Belt squat
32 kg x 10
36 kg x 10
40 kg x 10
44 kg x 10
48 kg x 15

I forgot to start turning my toes out a bit here but I will remember next time. These felt positively easy for just ten rep sets.

two hand clubbell shield casts
25 x 10/10
     x 10/10
35 x 8/8 ( too heavy today!)
35 x8/8 arm cast. 

the 35 really kicked my ass today. because they tend to irritate my shoulder I haven't been doing these too much and I can tell. have to go back and pay more dues with the 25er and some volume

Pushup (eccentric only)
4 sets of 6 again. Much easier and shoulder totally stable. work these up to 5 x 10 and I bet the concentric will be there too.

BB laterals
3 x 10/10

great workout! still getting stronger and recovering better each week. Now I have some positive momentum going and no travel in site! Yes.


datsit.
Sisu/

2 comments:

guy said...

Great going BossMan! You continually inspire me, I mean it! You bring yourself back from the brink, through intelligent effort & sheer will! When I don't want to practice SW/Loaded Carries/SN whatever, I remind myself that you do it. Sisu & Shugyo!
P.S I want to be like you if I ever grow up.

Mark Reifkind said...

lol, if "WE" ever grow up.thanks man,luckily I haven't been that close to the brink of late. Now I get to play more with subtle nuances instead of pure gross movement ability. About time :))

The key for me is to not even think about it. It's training day/time,you just go and do the best you can,that's it:))

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...