Saturday, October 06, 2012

Square, plumb and neutral.



Didn't really know what to expect with today's 24 kg snatch workout. I haven't snatch the 24 for more than one or two reps the last two weeks for my snatch holds. I used the 18 two weeks ago and the 20 kg last week so would it feel heavy or light today?

My long term training goal ,since I got saved by the kettlebell ,was to get myself as close to square,plumb and neutral as I could. After all those injuries and years of training I was pretty far away from it when I started on this path but I have always thought I could do pretty much anything I set my mind to do. Not that it would be fast, but that I would accomplish it to the absolute best of my ability and desire.
I'm slow but I'm stubborn as Geoff Neupert says and that's true.

SISU.

Not just a word or motto for me but my way of life. Enduring tenacity. I literally know no other way and that's just fine.

And things have just been falling into place lately and I couldn't be happier. My shoulder is as stable as it's been in years. My back too. My knee is coming along and I realized that I've been avoiding the most painful part of my lack of knee extension- the inner calf- and that has made a big difference.

My nutrition  has been spot on and I'm leaner, bigger and stronger than of very recent past and I am recovering better than ever, too. Better late than never, eh? I'm back into my adaptogens and they have made a world of difference

I knew the lack of travel would allow me to get some momentum going in the right direction and I was correct.
Plus all the Primal Move stuff is really hooking things up well.

7-8 am full stretchout and PM warmup

8am
one arm swing warmup 16 kg x 5/5/5 x 3

Snatch
16 kg x 5/5
         x5/5
20 kg x 3/3
24 kg x 5/5 x 15 sets
 150 reps
7950 lbs

Nice. Recent volume PR and it was strong.One BIG thing I've done differently of late that has really helped my  balance when I snatch was to take out my contacts while training. I am nearsighted and my contacts adjust for that. When I snatch I don't look out, I look down about 3 feet in front of me.
I think the long vision created by my contacts was pulling me forward and making balance harder. This certainly feels better.

Plus I went back to straight hardstyle swing/snatch. GS, as it always turns out to be for me, is just too "spirally" for my body it seems. My knee and back were again not all that happy or stable feeling after. Hardstyle is what initially attracted me as I knew I could obtain these body angles safely. Just like my power squat:))

Plus it's SO nice to not have my left shoulder feel like it's constantly "out' or 'going out' of stability on each rep. that sucked.I feel like I am close to square, plumb and neutral than I have EVER been.

At least since my knee injury in 1974.

I've been playing 'whack a mole' with these asymmetries for what seems like forever and it's finally seems the pendulum might have stopped swaying. At least for the large oscillations. Now I just need a new knee:))

One clubbell arm cast
10lbs x 15/15
15 x 10/10
     x 12/12
     x 15/15

these are also coming along nicely and are vital for my left shoulder stability. The two hands served their purpose when the left was so wonky but it's time to re strengthen it.

Eccentric Pushups
4 x 10

these were strong again. and the pushup from prone to knee was a real pushup. not a full body 'up'. no tricep cramp.

bodyblade laterals
4 x 10/10

necessity.

datsit.
Sisu/





No comments:

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...