Thursday, December 06, 2012

Double KB Speed work.



I remember when all I could train was the one arm swing. No presses,snatches, squats, anything but the one arm swing and transfers. I was that jacked up. I didn't know how I could train just this one movement 3 or so times a week and 1)make progress in strength and work capacity and 2) not be bored out of my mind.

I decided to train three times a week with a different weight on each day. Light, medium and heavy. I just didn't know which weight to assign to each day so I asked Brett Jones  for his advice. He told me on my light day "go light". How light I asked, my powerlifter brain still fully intact.
16 kg light, he told me.

Ack. 16 kg? I was trying to get stronger not weaker. But he was right and I knew it. I had to put in some time going light if I was going to be able to go heavy on the other day(s) and there are plenty of ways to challenge a light bell that will seriously kick your butt.

Light meant two things, fast and lots of volume. I like fast and even though I seem to like volume, I don't. I just do it to accomplish my goals: increasing work capacity and recovery ability.

" A back of iron and legs that never quit" as I read in a KB book once. Thats my goal and lots of work with basic kb moves is my best bet with this old mainframe to get there.

I much prefer another Brett Jones, approach :"anything over 3 reps is cardio" . Perfect and much in line with my WSB method as well.

Since I've been grinding away on the two kb swings trying to get a groove and build a foundation I've been going relatively heavy, for me, and thought it would be a good day to go light, 16 kg light and bring in some speed and acceleration to the mix.

Going light would let me get looser on the downswing and build more power on the up. Worked great and I felt like I could play with my form more, as well.

Two KB swings
2 12kg x 10 x 2
2 14 kg x 10 x 2
2 16 kg x 8 x 10 sets

really took my stance out and this helped a bunch. Tried to get really snappy on the descent and that worked well too.

Two hand swings with Power band


Instead of doing dead stop swings I decided to keep it light and fast with a jump stretch band attached. Another move I've wanted to do for years but haven't been able to. These are just as much fun as I thought they would be. And not easy at all.

Same but different. Specialized variety works well for me.

24 kg + average band  x 10 reps x 8 sets

the last three sets were seriously tough, trying to deal with the overspeed eccentric and the resistance on the upswing AND the increased tension took it's toll. But kept bell speed up til the end

Kneeling Floor pushups
4 sets of 10

first two sets NO clunking til last rep, third set got a little loose on 8 and forth set it settled in at 7 . Still great form work and the last sets were chest to the floor and paused.
very pleased with this.

Early AM full Rifga stretch out and PM session with client ( 10 minutes). Need to do even more of this. GET ON THE FLOOR\.

datsit.
Sisu/



No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...