Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Two hand swings, 32 and 40kg and training solo.

Glenn was out today and my last client canceled so I knew I better get right to it. No time to think about training alone and what I was going to do.' Don't think, just go' is one of my favorite mantras and today it was in full use.

My body snapped back pretty quickly late yesterday and today and I felt like I had finally adjusted to the time change as well as from jumping back into the deep end of the training pool. MY knee decided to behave for no known reason and the soreness and stiffness was almost all gone. Got in extra early again for mobilization and stretching out and that helped too.

It's been ten days, it shouldn't have taken so long but it did. This was a rough cert in more than a few ways because of the emotional aspect to it as well as the extra long days. I held up well but it was truly at the edge of my physical limitations. Which is cool. The gauge is set WAY far back from even last year and a galaxy away from 3 years ago.

I've always said that the true test of the dedicated , true athlete is their ability to train alone. If you can't train alone you really don't want it. It's definitely different, harder for sure,by far to summon the energy to break inertia, by yourself, the whole time set after set but it's vital to be able to do so.
Otherwise you are trapped forever to training partners and other's schedules, motivation levels and desire.

When you do have a great partner it is magic and the synergy of two or more completely committed dedicated brothers can make things increase exponentially but even then you always have to be ready to go it alone.

Two hand swing
20 kg x 10
24 kg x 10
32 kg x 10 ( bigger jump)
40 kg x 10

now, alternate between 32 kg x 10 and 40 kg x 5
10 sets of 10 with 32 kg
20 sets of 5 with 40 kg
150 reps
7000 lbs with 32 kg

4400 lbs with 40 kg
11,400 total lbs


I had thought about doing 15 sets of 10 with the 40 but purposely kept the heavier weights  reps lower to keep power higher.the 32 felt light

snatch holds
18 kg x 30
20 kg x 30
22 kg x 30
24 kg x 30

these were solid but I didn't want to go any longer :))

Windmills
12 kg x 3 x 5 reps left side only 

haven't done these in years not bad at all.this is signficant ROM and stability progress for the left shoulder. Of course we'll see tomorrow if I broke anything :)

rack walks
2 400 ft walks 200 ft per arm with 16 kg
1 200 ft walk with right arm
100 ft total

first time I've done 400 ft continuous in awhile. not bad.

stretchout 15 minutes  have to get in the habit of unloading the tissues right after training. floor work and roller/stick. also did check style Horse Stances and ipsilateral arm leg raises this morning to wake up my sleepy right erector and left glute.

datsit.
Sisu/






5 comments:

Joe Sarti said...

Great post and theme. Certainly agree about the want too, especially going hard alone. I love training with you all but I am stoked to have the discipline to do it alone!

Great work and loads today. I like the emphasis on power! Did the 5x5 1 arm swing today and what a difference.

Tinmanjohn said...

Great workout!

Tinmanjohn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Joe. It's great to have solid partners but if one can't train alone there foundation isn't solid.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Tinmanjohn

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...