Monday, April 29, 2013

36 kg two hand swings and clean and press



Great weekend in Seattle watching Tracy achieve her level 1 rank in Kettlbell Sport- 122 jerks and 198 snatches with the 12 kg. More than enough to push her forward into the 16 kg class! A short trip but usually more than enough to slow me down but today had a great workout instead. Glenn was back from work stuff last week and it was hot enough to actually sweat again, how cool! ( pun intended.)

Watching all that GS made me realize even more how much of  a Hardstyle KB athlete I am. I want to use the kb to increase my power, strength speed and muscle development. Watching the gireviks move their body around  the kettlebell instead of what we do: make the kb move around OUR body brought home the point even more than normal. Hardstyle kb training is as close to a cross between powerlifting, bodybuilding and sprinting as I am going to get and the weapon of choice for that has to be THE SWING.

Not the snatch. I've been in love with the snatch ever since I first discovered it and hung onto it's athleticism like grim death  as all other forms of athletic endeavors disappeared for me. But I made a vow not to snatch over 24 kg in weight and I HATE high rep sets so I've decided to re focus my focus on SWINGs and not snatches.

I even think I am going back to max Vo2 training with the 16kg. Since I can't go heavy and I hate going long I might as well go light and fast. We'll see. For right now it's back to the swing and the press as the mainstay's of the program and here's hoping my press stays together. Either way though, the swing's the key.

I can train it heavy and hard and not worry so much about injury. I can do one arm, two hand, two kb and hand to hand,plenty of variety.It's a big mindset switch but I think it's time to let go of the snatch as the centerpiece. My shoulders will just never have that easy overhead position no matter what I do. They'll get better but the heavier slower snatches demand a strong overhead fixation and I just don't have it. It's easier in the press for me.

Anyway:

Two hand swings

20 kg x 10
24 kg x 10
28 kg x 10
32 kg x 8
36 kg x 10 x 12 sets
120 reps
9600 lbs

Clean and press
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg  x 5/5
24 kg x 4/4
28 kg x 1/1 x 2 ( strong!) first time with left arm in awhile
24 kg x 5/5



these were definitely in a loose style but that was alright. I just wanted to make sure my shoulder didn't de stabilize and the longer holds have, in the past, been problematic. these were good and the weight felt light. Haven't practiced much so I have some work to do there.


Belt squats
32 kg x 25 x 3
         x 30 x 1

nice pump! still love these.
Very excited about this new direction. this will let me go much heavier and get much stronger than the other focus.

datsit.
Sisu/

5 comments:

Joe Sarti said...

Well makes sense to me! Goals and movement aligned. Max Vo2 makes sense allowing the speed and power while still snatching.

CP looked awesome & easy. Excited you are pressing,

Heavy swing variations like you favor my body and are just kick ass effective.

Look forward to the progression.

Mark Reifkind said...

we'll see how the pressing goes. the main switch is the snatch to the heavy swings on saturday.
everything else is just icing on the cake.

Aaron Friday said...

Did Tracy really do 198 snatches in 10 minutes? Holy shit. Is she looking forward to the weight increase to 16kg, or did she want to break 200 first?

Before you press, are you squeezing your lats, or your abs, or both?

Mark Reifkind said...

aaron ,yes she did :) she has achieved rank 1 so her next comp she has to use the 16kg.

for the press I am flexing lats abs and glutes.

Mike Moran said...

Never say never Rif. I bet light snatches plus heavy presses will one equal heavier snatches again. :)

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...