Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday ruck

Perhaps next time I add books to the pack I should weigh it first :) Last week's pack was barely 20 lbs. I thought it would be 21 or 22 today but I guess the books weighed heavy and it ended up at 24.6 lbs.
That ain't light for me,lol and I felt it from the start.
Started out in the dark this morning as I had to get back earlier to help Tracy with her GS sets and it was different walking the first 30 minutes in the dark. Not bad at all just different.It was 37 degrees at the start and  the legs felt heavy from yesterdays work.
As per usual they didn't loosen up til around lap 4 but then they really got nice and comfy. I did my static squat stretches each lap from the first as opposed to waiting til the fourth lap as I did last week. It helped open the legs up a little faster plus I got 4 more sets in

Total time 1 hour 25 minutes.8 laps plus to and from park.

Not bad for a guy four months ago that couldn't walk two blocks without pain. Very happy with this.Going to leave the pack weight alone for at least 2-3 hikes as this is plenty for right now.

Tracy and I decided we are going to plan a Grand Canyon hike sometime next year! Now this will be epic! After that- Machu Picu! This latest re incarnation as a hiker is something I've wanted to do for years and now it's happening. Awesome. Love the ruck :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes! What great plans :)

Diana said...

http://www.wildlandtrekking.com/adventurehikes/rimtorim.html

Here's a link that a friend of mine did....she did rim-to-rim hike and loved it! She trained daily with and without weighted backpacks. She trained with a team who are experienced with Grand Canyon hikes....I highly suggest getting some coaching!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks for the link Diana

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...