Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Snatch practice, 20 kg single front squats, pushups, shoulder sled



Well I thought I would be able to train the snatch again but I don't think so now. As much as I want to be back in love with this move it just doesn't love me anymore and  six sets of pretty light snatches showed me that pretty quickly.

Although my unweighed overhead position IS getting better , and certainly less painfull. It isn't transferring yet to the kb snatch. Plus it started bothering my upper lumbar and lower thoracic spine and that isn't good nor worth it.

I've been tweaked by the snatch more than any other kb move, with two bicep tears ( with a too heavy 32 kb bell) and numerous lower back/groin tweaks back in the day. It was great for many years for me but then went south. Not sure how much my progressively bad knee had to do with it BUT I do know that ever since I got it replaced my alignment has been different enough to really change my overhead position, and with it, my snatch( and press)

That's ok ,really. Just a message from my body( that I better listen to) that it's time to move my emphasis from the snatch back to the squat and the overhead hangs. My pushups are back on line and that's a great substitute, mentally.

I started off slowly but even the 16 felt like shit. Then I went up to the 18 and that felt better for three sets but then my back/lat started talking to me and I listened.
Change of plan and I switched to single bell front squats.

Snatch
16 kg x 7/7 x 3 sets
18 kg x 7/7 x 3 sets

Single KB Clean and squats
20 kg x 5/5 x 5 sets

these went well although it's definitely more difficult to get as deep as I want with single bells than with double so I will switch back. Not sure if long or short cycle but with long cycle it means shifting my stance each rep so the total rep count will be  down. We'll see

Horizontal bar pushups on paralletes
10, 11, 12, 13

these went fine and were strong

Walking lunges
4 laps of 12 feet
 wore knee sleeves today so no bruising but I think I'm going back to the grass. It's taking up too much mental space worrying about not banging my knee and messed up the rhythm.. VERY tough though, after the squats. legs were on fire.

Red band rear delts
4 sets of 15

light but stricter work

Shoulder sled pull
95 lbs x 250 feet x 4 laps

freakin' killer. legs were toast finished strong though but it was tough.

I'm actually almost tempted to try barbell snatches and see how they feel. For some reason I think, with the wide grip, it might work. I'll play around with a stick and see what it feels like first.

two days off to stretch! yea~!

datsit
never quit.



No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...