Monday, January 19, 2015

95 lb Military press pr 5x5, band pullups, barbell hacks, floor pushups, sled



That I made this was a shock. It was a tough training weekend with all the snatches, handstands pullups on Saturday and a strong but hard ruck yesterday. Felt pretty beat up today but the energy was good. Shoulders and traps were pretty tired and sore so I really had no idea how this press day would go.

I was hoping to take 95 lb for a ride and hoping a little more I could get 5 x 5 with it but as soon as I started to warm up I had my doubts. Shoulders were TIRED and tight. So I really took my time and did a lot of light warmup sets and just went one set at a time.
Turned out pretty well :)

A decent roll and stretchout this AM and even got some stack up work with my feet on a high box and holding the hip over position for 10 seconds or so.Really like this drill and will do it more often


Barbell press
stick x 15 x 3
bar x 5 x 2
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 3
85 x 2
95 x 5 x 5! PR
these were really tough.especially the first rep of each set. Once I got that the rest were pretty easy but it felt heavy today. After the first set I thought I'd be lucky to get 3 sets of 5. After the third I though the same and was planning on 3 rep for the 4th set. But it got better and if I did 4 sets I HAD to try 5 ,lol
I go it but it was hard.
Definitely time to back off and rebuild.Plus I travel in two weeks and I need to taper for that too.probably 70 lbs for next week and work on a better rack and overhead lockout hold
But I'm happy.

Pullups purple band
These were ok but I have to figure out where to put the band. On an individual leg seems to offset  my weight with its elastic pull and I think my back doesn't like that. Plus I shift at the top a bit too. Switched feet on the band and it helped a little but not enough.Both feet thru the band?
I also need to stop doing the tactical pullup and do my chest up lat pullup. it mimics my press plus,more importantly, it didn't bother my shoulders as much.
The bottom hang, though, felt great!

Barbell Hacks
4 sets 15 with 55 lbs

these felt great. Time to bump the weight soon.

Floor pushups, close hands
4 sets of 12

My shoulders were fried in the front lean and rest position but as soon as I got repping the triceps took the load and they felt better! Triceps are really coming up too and I like that.

Hip sled
112 lbs x 250 ft x 3 laps

NOW I'm tired. done!

that was a great weekend of training but I definitely need more stretch time

datsit
neverquit!

2 comments:

Lars said...

Good video on the handstands! Thank you!
Regarding the push ups I would recommend you hands release push ups.
And for myself I set the band under my bottom and hold legs out in L position. Thats the easiest set-up for me.
I experimented with my rucks and just wanted to keep you updated: I just have a running pack which is weighted not very comfy. So I aim to get at least 10.000 steps a day. Maybe thats a good goal for you too?

Mark Reifkind said...

good idea on the l position for the bands, that should keep things square, thanks
are you taking about a pushup where my hands leave the ground?? not sure what you mean
as far as regular walking I get plenty of steps per day just at work, with the rucking I want a specific loaded training to create a specific respone ( the ability to walk for continuous hours under load)

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...