Saturday, August 15, 2015

32 kg One Arm Swings,First Fee Pistol!, parallel weighted pushups, db laterals



Well there ya go! One week short of two years of my TKR I made my first unassisted one leg squat! Not perfect by anymeans but all by my lonesome and a double to boot!



I've made much faster progress in this than I expected, of course I have been training for this, in retrospect, for the last two years. Have a long way to go but it is a solid start. Now to go back to some TRX or ring support and work on depth and static strength in the deeper position.

Now that I know I can DO it, I can go backwards a bit and rebuild. What an amazing present to myself and a great way to celebrate my two year anniversary of the knee replacement,

I did these after swings and did 5/5 kickstand squats right after. These are helping quite a bit in the progression as well

One arm swings
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 4/4
32 kg x 10/10 x 10 sets
200 reps
14,000 lbs work
7 tons

positively EASY. Fast accelerative and no problem at all. Backed off instead of 12's and was a good idea although 12's would have been easy too. Recovery catching back up

Pistols
( as above)

Weighted pushps
bw x 10
25 lbs x 10 x 4 sets

draped chains around neck worked great.need a weighted vest though

Db side raises
4 sets of 10 with 15s

getting better, actually

ok heavy ruck tomorrow!

datsit
neverquit



8 comments:

Kettlebell Courage Corner Seattle WA said...

Congratulations Mark. I feel like you could write an amazing training book with all of your experience in the iron game. The program design you created and implemented (and modified along the way) since the TKR has to be of some great value for others with similar injury/surgery experience.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Chris, the only problem with such a book is that it is based on day to day analysis of what happened and where I want to go that day-no big meta analysis available. it's as much about instinct as anything and you can't teach that.

I am currently working with a lady with double knee replacement and have given her all the same tools I use but without the instinct and passion for getting to certain abilities it doesn't turn out the same.

Good but not the same.

It's the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing at night. hard to teach that.

Diana said...

Congratulations Mark!
It's amazing the differences in people who have had replacements. Some make some progress, others continue on with their miserable lives like nothing happened and then there's you! Super Rif!!
You're taking that new knee to places you could only dream about prior to it!

I love your progression and truly can't believe it's been 2 years already!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Diana, and yes I can believe the difference. So many people are so lazy in their rehab it's unbelievable to me. Plus the "state of the art' in re hab isn't! it seems the two years have gone both fast and slowly!

Mark Reifkind said...

Chris

the other problem with me writing an approach to this is that the health professionals don't even want the "patients' squatting with Bodyweight with TWO legs!!! leg press is ok but not the most functional pattern in the world. just crazy!

Swami said...

I appreciate your TKR updates. Your progress and workload have been fantastic I had my right knee replaced mid-May this year. The recovery has gone very well leading to my doctor saying 'slow-down' at my 2 month checkup. Recently, my instructor restarted me with swings. My hope is to return to competitive racquetball. I have one question about your TKR recovery. Have you been able to return to Turkish Get-Ups?

Mark Reifkind said...

Swami great to hear about your excellent progress! I can do TGU's but don't because my shoulder doesn't like them but my knee doesn't hold me back from them at all.
keep in touch,things really get better at 6 months so hang in there!

Swami said...

Thank you Mark.

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...