Sunday, January 08, 2017

Walk in the wet park ruck

This is the ruck of dreams. The PenYFan ruck a 24 km ruck up and down the Brecon Becons with a 20 kg bergen ( british for rucksack) that has become synonymous with the entrance exam to the famous SAS and SBS Elite Special forces of the UK

I thought a lot about it when I was going to the UK the last couple years and this year a friend of mine Matt Shore and Olly Drew from the UK completed it!
Serious Respect
Matt completed it 4 min under the SF time in 3hr 54 min! In some serious serious cold and wet weather.
With all the hill climbing it probably isn't the best idea for me to even try with my knee but it's a great motivator.
http://www.thefandancerace.com/
And when I saw the post this morning just as I was getting ready to go out into the worst rain story in the recent NorCal history I realized my walk was nothing hard at all
Hell, it was warm ( 58 or so), FLAT surface, nice soft sand and two blocks from my house. No worries.
I like walking in the rain as long as it's not freezing. then I turn into a giant baby.
I can be seriously tough in the heat. In the cold, I'm a wuss.

So off I went and it was easy. Legs were heavy and tired as expected but lower back was fine and that's everything
Took it slow, didn't even LOOK at the stopwatch and worked to keep my effort low.
It got tough , as it usually does, around lat 7 or so, but I stopped to let my HR come down and enjoy the showers and crazy beautiful sky and dark clouds. I love weather like this.
I used to love to run in it, back in the day

And, I have to keep remembering, and never forget, what a gift it is to just be able to walk as much as I want to with no pain. That's everything

50 lb ruck
12 laps
2 hours even
11 isometric supported squat stretches
no laps timed

BW 164.8
BF 12.3
W 56.7



"The greater the suffering, the greater the pleasure"  or Embrace the suck


datsit
DFQ

130lb barbell presses tomorrow 5x5

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...